yet another sword translation plea for help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yet another sword translation plea for help

I just picked this one up and was wondering if someone could translate it for me. The only thing I can read is that it has a showa stamp. The signature is a little long for my camera to include in one pic, so I'll put it in two. Also, it's in shin gunto mounts.
    Attached Files

second half
    Attached Files

Comment

opposite side
      Attached Files

Comment

hamon
        Attached Files

Comment

point
          Attached Files

Comment

It reads "Noshu Seki-ju Goto Kanehiro sake" (濃州関住後藤兼廣作).

Whups, correction, "saku" instead of "sake". Been having too much of "sake" lately, me thinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Edokko View Post

Whups, correction, "saku" instead of "sake". Been having too much of "sake" lately, me thinks.
              LOL. I love sake too.

Comment

Originally posted by Edokko View Post

Thanks for your help. I completely understand the too much sake. Makes for a good night. With regards to the signature, does that mean that it was made in the seki provence and the maker was Kanehiro?

Comment

Originally posted by rustyhill View Post
                  Thanks for your help. I completely understand the too much sake. Makes for a good night. With regards to the signature, does that mean that it was made in the seki provence and the maker was Kanehiro?
                  Noshu ( Provence) Seki (name of the town) JU ( reside) Goto (title of the smith)
                  Kanehiro ( name of the smith) saku (made)

in english ( Goto Kanehiro of seki,noshu made this )

Comment

Thanks. Thats great to know.

Comment

Under Showa rankings he is listed under CHUGE SAKU. What does this say about his standing? Also, I was under the impression that arsenal stamped blades except for star stamps were machined blades, not smith worked. Can someone clarify this for me please? Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by rustyhill View Post
                        Under Showa rankings he is listed under CHUGE SAKU. What does this say about his standing? Also, I was under the impression that arsenal stamped blades except for star stamps were machined blades, not smith worked. Can someone clarify this for me please? Thanks again.

Kanehiro was in the 6th rank of 7,His swords are mid-low grade.I don't have the books but if I remember correctly he was a 1 million yen smith. you are right about the stamp, meaning it was made by non traditional ways ( machine hammered, oil tempered)

Comment

Oil tempered, no wonder the hamon looks so vivid. Thanks. I'll put this sword to rest in my new collection now.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X