How to clean an NCO sword...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to clean an NCO sword...

Hey guys I just bought a type 95 NCO sword from an antique store and it seems like it has been in the scabbard forever and I was wondering what is the best way to clean the blade and clean up the rest of the sword. ON a side note the store wanted 675 for it and i made them an offer of 375 and they took it I guess that shows how bad the economy is getting especially here in michigan.

thanks for all the help

Pete

use steel wool the kind that has 4 0's "0000" on the package it , along with, some gun oil will make it as nice as it wil get but, don't use it on painted areas only the blade. Mild soap and a rag on the handle and scabbard.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply and info

Comment

I would wait to hear some other suggestions then go with which one sounds best. You may just want to leave it alone. Post pics of it when possible. It may not even need it. I could be wrong but don't think steel wool is the way to go imo.
        Scott

Comment

I was just going to wipe down the blade to get the finger prints off it for now. I will post some pics later . I just wanted to hear some ideas about cleaning the blade.

Comment

I would agree that steel wool isn't the best way to go, even if it is a normal "NCO" blade. To be on the safe side, would probably be better to get an inexpensive jpn sword cleaning kit off epay. use the powerball and paper towels (the blue shop types work well) to remove the old grease. the ash/polishing stone dust is also a much lower "grit" that steel wool. then finish with a light coat of choji oil. you may have to go through the process a few times (powder-on, wipe off, choiji oil-on, wipe off...repeat), but atleast you'll get practice for a real nihonto.

(just read your newest post) regarding "finger prints", sometimes these are stained into the blade, at least on real nihonto, due to the oils. they don't really come out in the normal cleaning or it takes a bunch of them. I think they need to be polished out.

Comment

Sword

Since your blade is machined steel Ive always liked Flitz polish, cleans up surface stains and doesnt make the blade as bright as Semi Chrome, protects it from further stains as well.

Comment

Thanks guys for all the suggestions I obviously am new to swords a appreciate all the help

Comment

Many vets dipped blades in cosmoline to protect the surface. If that is the case with your sword, cosmoline can be removed with kerosene or cigarette lighter fluid. I would suggest posting pictures of the blade before doing anything. Once done incorrectly, it can not be fixed.

Comment

I can also recommend Flitz polish. I've used it on bright Japanese bayonet blades with great success.

Comment

com product called Opps(sp?)...takes old coz and oil off quite well, we used it a the gold star musem

Comment

I would take it apart completly in all its parts.Be careful not to scratsh the metal parts.
                        Then I would clean the fittings and tsuka in hand warm water with little soap or little ammonium chloride , and then in clean water.
                        Painted items(army) I only use soapwater.
                        A toothbrush is a perfect tool to clean fittings.
                        Cleaning the blade depends on how it looks.
                        Lets se a picture of Your sword

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,764 at 12:35 PM on Today.

Working...
                        X