Japanese Knee Morter Round

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Knee Morter Round

What are these rounds going for now? I've got a nice one I really do not need and was thinking of putting it on Estand. Thanks, Alex

I'm thinking somewhere around 250???USD I have close to 20 rounds myself. Good luck Dana

Comment

Alex,

You might want to browse around the internet for current prices on these. IMO nice examples can be still be found for something in the $150 to $175 range.

BTW: On the topic of "knee" mortar rounds, does anyone have an example of one that has been fired? Years ago I heard a collector from Hattiesburg, Mississippi tell about one in his collection that a USMC vet brought home from Iwo Jima. Apparently the round landed very close to the Marine in the soft volcanic sand and did not explode. Once things got quiet, the Marine dug the round out and took it apart to inert it. I never saw the fired round, but it allegedly had really cool markings where the brass driving band had been compressed in the firing process, with rifling markings scored into it that corresponded to the mortar's rifled barrel. The collector later sold this round (for $250), stating that it was the only fired example he had ever seen or heard about.

Alan

Comment

Japanese Round

Thanks for the feedback guys...sorry for the late reply!! Alex

Comment

Good evening. I had an individual approach me today about an old Japanese Grenade he had. It turns out to be a Type 89 Mortar Round in really good condition. My only problem is not really knowing whether or not it is a live round. I've read a few articles of live rounds being found in collections. He said he had no idea and that it had been stored since he was a kid. I'll be honest, I am a little nervous about even holding it. The lower portion will screw out and it looks as though the fuse hole for firing the morter at the base has been soldered and the cup that would have held the charge is missing. The top sections and lower sections are very tight and can't be removed. I don't have the right tool I guess, but I still wondered if there is a way to tell if they have been deactivated without taking them apart or basically just throwing it. The firing pull pin has been removed at the top. It has some really good markings and would make a nice piece, but I may have to pass if I can't figure out if it's live or not. Any ideas or comments would be welcomed.

Darren

Comment

I have one that had the explosive taken out, but the fuze is still live. I made a special tool with a vice grips to clamp in the notches on the fuze to remove it, but after 65+ years it won't budge. Sadly, it's in my garage until I figure out what I'm going to do. I don't want to get rid of it, but can't figure out a safe way to dispose/disarm the fuze. Always stay on the side of safety.

Fingers/hands/arms etc are more important than new additions to the collection.

Mike

Comment

We run across a many of these rounds or pieces thereof. Way too many of them have not detonated. Also run across some of the fuzes, many of which had blown off after detonation. Here is a photo of a grenade that I found last weekend.
              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X