IJA Helmet - opinions please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IJA Helmet - opinions please...

has several stampings to inside rear rim...Tokyo arsenal / large size / don't know the other two, front pad is ink stamped someting14 ~1939, chinstrap is complete, flat rivets...

looks like an early type 90... or is it? your expert intuition is welcome:

Last edited by luftwaffenkopf; 01-30-2009, 09:25 PM.

Decent type 90 helmet. Star looks original but doesn't match shells color. Might be correct. Hard to say based on photos. I'd want to see reverse of front pad to see if stars prongs line up with the identations on liner band.

Comment

x
      Last edited by luftwaffenkopf; 01-30-2009, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jareth View Post
        Decent type 90 helmet. Star looks original but doesn't match shells color. Might be correct. Hard to say based on photos. I'd want to see reverse of front pad to see if stars prongs line up with the identations on liner band.
        yes i see what you mean. here is a pic of the star pin and then the two flat rivet pins... the liner is loose hence the pins sometimes don't line up with their indentations in the leather:

Comment

I have been meaning to post on this thread. I really like this helmet. I hardly ever see these with the arsenal stamp in the shell.
          Scott

Comment

The mark that looks like Tokyo/Kokura arsenal is actually the manufacturers logo of Nihon Tokushuko. The stamp that looks like an X might be the crossed cannon mark of Osaka arsenal.

Comment

thank you fallas! i was a bit worried about it being authentic at all. i've only handled about 4 of these and also didn't see any metal stampings other than the diamond 's'. i was afraid this might be some new Chinese fake.

so that tri-circle is not a Tokyo stamp in this case...interesting. would that be the same Nihon Tokushuko stamp you see on NCO swords? or are these NCO swords Tokyo arsenal? thank you.

Comment

The tri circle mark is a listed helmet manufacturer. The Tokyo arsenal mark had another circle in the center. Don't know enough about NCO swords to comment but I'm fairly certain that some were made in Tokyo arsenal.

Comment

Originally posted by Jareth View Post
                  The stamp that looks like an X might be the crossed cannon mark of Osaka arsenal.
                  That is what I was thinking it was. I think Nick or Takehito had commented on the last example posted with that mark. If I remember correct it also had the mark for Nihon Tokushuko.
                  Scott

Comment

Well this is the only thread I found about the Osaka arsenal mark. It may have been on gunboards where I saw it. I can't remember.
                    Scott

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...arsenal&page=2

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X