WW2 Japanese Map-Leyte Island Attack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW2 Japanese Map-Leyte Island Attack?

This is a nice little map that I picked up recently as it relates the Leyte Island which my grandfather was on in ww2. I was wondering if anyone can give me any more information on it possibly as what kind of attack,or if theres a unit listed on it or just any information you can gather by looking at it. All I know of it is that is was found in a Japanese Pillbox and brought back as a sovenier.
    Thank you gentleman for any help.

[IMG][/IMG

Comment

Hey guys, I thought Id bring this up again to see if anyone could help me out with what this map is showing. Can anyone help me translate and learn what this map is really representing? Many thanks, I greatly appreciate that.
      Kinest regards,

Comment

Anybody? Id really love to know what this map is depicting. Any help would be really great. Many thanks in advance I reallt appreciate it.

Comment

Certainly looks like an interesting map - sorry I can't be of any help!

Regards

Russ

Comment

It looks press printed Michael. Like it is out of a book. Are the notations in hand written ink or printed?

Comment

Thanks Russel and thank Scott.
              Scott, You are right. It looks to be as nothing is hand drawn or written besides what the US SOLDIER wrote in the upper left hand box. I would take a guess that it didnt come out of a book. I say this because the paper doesnt have any tears from being riped out. It is perfectly rectangular. Now that I also think of it wouldnt it be kind of hard to get a map printed for an attack and given to the troops in quick time? I now think that this may not be an attack map but maybe a training type of map? Or maybe a map depicting a famous attack that was done in the past and this was given to students? Can anyone help with any of the translation? Thanks again guys and any more help would be greatly appreciated!!! It quit a neat little map!!!

Comment

Could it deal with defensive issues rather than an attack plan?
                Beautiful item, I wish you the best.
                Regards,
                Mathieu.

Comment

Mathieu,thats good thinking. It just might be

Comment

Me and my girlfriend (Japanese) tried to take a stab at translating this. It's hard considering the grammar is an old style we both are not used to as well as both of us not being completely confident on our Japanese military terms (she not knowing anything about in particular). anyways, this what we got:

On the right side of the map, there is a the 3 lines of blue writting. That says (very roughly):

"This map is of utmost importance. This plan is something that the enemy can not expect or predict. Predicting one's plan is the most important thing. We need to use this method to clear the enemy's plan, and at the same time, keep our plan a secret (article 341)."

The 7 lines of blue writing to the left of this roughly says:

"Planning an attack across the river, keep the plan a secret from the enemy, prepare well. Once you start to cross, move rapidly and boldly, perform the plan, and then success will be assured. Divide into groups. The first group will cross the river. When you arrive, prepare for the next group. Many soilders will cross the river."

The 3 lines of blue writing to the left of this roughly says:

"Airplanes are an important part of the search for the enemy."

The 4 lines of blue writing on the far left side of the map says:

"Cavalry should check the enemy's situation and location quickly and prevent the enemy from destroying the bridge which our army is going to use. At the same time, gather the materials to get across the river."

The black writing on the far left side of the map is like a footnote or title that basically says:

"Okawa River: right side of the river is for preparing to cross the river, and the left side of the river is our objective to get across."

I think this is not from a textbook. I think this is an actual battle plan about some troops planing to cross the river.

Comment

Maverick ,I must say I am very very very greatful for the time and the information THAT you and your girlfriend were able to come up with on my map. I thank you so much. Its good to actually have an idea now of what the map really is. I do think now that instead of this being an attack map for a live combat situation that this was a map printed for a training excercise to help the troops better get prepared for mission type assignments. Also,I tbelieve this would be the Okawa River located in Japan from what Ive been able to find on it. It really is a cool piece of history.
                      Thanks so much for your help!!!
                      Kindest of regards,
                      Michael Sweeney

Comment

I suppose that makes sense. The names of the places along the river all have the kanji "mura" which means village. I think that they are all Japanese villages. Osaka maybe?

Comment

In there area where the river is,i see theres a castle called the Osaka Castle.
                          So you are right on point there. Thanks so much Maverick,Its really great to now know what Im looking at.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X