Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mini Tanto Or What?

Hi:
    This is a direct vet bring back and purchase. He served Luzon, S Philippines. Occupied Japan.
    He told me it was made from broken weapons (destroyed as per US order), sold as souvenir to GI's ???
    There's a guy telling me it's a barbers razor ???
    Edge is tapered only on the front, blade is flat on the back.
    What is it please?? Any value??? Thanks, John
    Attached Files

Length 8" in the sheath
    Attached Files

Comment

Smooth back
      Attached Files

Comment

Tanto

If its a bring back its a souvenir bring back, without exception all tantos, dirks, swords had a habaki or copper sleeve between cutting edge and hilt,,,there is not one here nor signe of ever being one, no sign of activity,,no sign of being traditional Japanese.

Comment

What you have there is a Bonzai tree trimming knife. I have had many of these over the years. Yours probably dates to the Taisho or early Showa period. While normally these do not have horimono (engraving) I have seen them with numerous type of scenes on the blade however they almost always have cherry or plum branches as the main theme, often there will be little birds amongst the branches etc.

As far as value is concerned, I have been able to purchase the plain blades along with the entire kit (4 to 5 different implements) for between $40.00 and $60.00. I have seen this type on eBay that are always misrepresented with prices from $9.99 and no reserve on up to $100.00 each. I have yet to see one sell though because the true Japanese sword guys know what these are.

Here is one I have that I have used for years (not in very good focus). I have another in a tool kit in my car and another is lying around the house somewhere.

Hope this has helped.

Regards,

Chuck
          Attached Files
          Last edited by vonStubben; 10-19-2008, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Thanks everyone. John

Comment

I believe these are not for Bonsai (miniature tree arrangements) but used specifically for Kado (flower arrangements).

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X