Vulcanized / rubberized canvas "softening"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vulcanized / rubberized canvas "softening"

Good morning folks. I was wondering if anyone has a method to restore some flexibility to the WWII Japanese "rubberized" canvas items? One of the items that I picked up yesterday is a "rubberized" infantryman's waistbelt. Fortunately, it's not totally "seized" up, but is still pretty stiff from having been coiled up in a trunk for so long. Any help in putting some life back into this thing would be appreciated! Thanks.

You can use a hair dryer to soften it enough to shape it, but it will be stiff when it cools

Comment

No permanent fix. As David says above a blow dryer will allow you to set whatever position you want but as soon as it cools off that's it...back to being rock hard & frozen.

Comment

Thanks gents. I was considering using heat on it..sounds like a good idea. At present though, I'll more than likely just leave it alone as I don't have a mannequin display or anything of that nature that'd allow for it to be unraveled. It's not TOTALLY stiff, but isn't exactly what I'd call pliable either. This will help if / when I decide to uncoil it. Thanks again!

Comment

Giving it a good douse of ArmorAll helps a lot. It softens it slightly as well as cleans and protects it from further decay.

CB

Comment

Thanks for the advice! Isn't Armor-all petroleum based? I typically try and stay away from those, (if possible) as I've read that it can have a detrimental effect down the road. Anyone else ever tried this?? Thx!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X