Flight helmet info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flight helmet info

What is the going rate for an unissued navy flight hemet? There is a depot tag inside. This is the type with fur inside, but it's not the "pie top" style used at Pearl Harbor .It is dated 41 and has a mint pair of cats eye goggles with it also.He is asking 1200.00 for the set is that high?

if its what you say and condition of both the goggles and helmet are minty, that's a good price IMHO. On the low side, a set of goggles, depending on maker, run at least $300 with no broken lenses, but can be double that. A mint type 2 helmet on the low side is around $7-800, but usually go alittle higher. If you have a variation helmet, even better.

Comment

I think it's just a regular helmet. It has a strap on the back with a button to hold the goggles and a cloth square for the name brown leather flap on the front with a snap, and a tag straight in the back of the helmet.

Comment

That's just slightly high. I'd say at $1K is more realistic but they're going up in value. I just "stole" this rare early summer example with unusual liner http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/...m=360085795066

Comment

Nice score

Comment

Jareth, good pick up. I registered for that auction and was planning on bidding..was a good thing I didn't. Anyhow, I have a similar one I picked up about 5 years ago. Some minor field repair to the sides of the rim flap, but the neat part was the painted flag and kanji on the front. I traded it to NLF Bob and then traded back for it when I decided to focus on helmets and goggles.

I too was surprised when I bought mine that the bids didn't go anywhere near type 2's or type 30's. These are definately more rarer, but maybe its because they're pre ww2?

Nice example nonetheless.

Comment

Does anyone have a photo of a type 1 navy flight helmet by chance?

Comment

Someone will probably correct me, but my understand is the "type 2" designation refers to 1942, or when this style was introduced as the standard headgear. Prior to this, the type 30 helmet was in use, which refers to the 1930's when it was the standard. This is similar in design to the wwi british helmets.

The version referred to as the "type 3", with the built in headgear and hard ear cups and modeled after the german helmets, I believe got its name b/c it was introduced in late 1943.

Comment

The type 2 I was looking at is dated 41

Comment

Interesting...What month? Can you post pics?

Here's a pic of a typical type 30. Not sure if this is the "type 1" you were talking about? I pulled this off an old fleebay listing, but the main difference is the side ear flaps w/ buttons and head tightning band, plus the construction of six panels, leather covered buckle, differernt neck strap. Also the green name tag in the back is usually oriented vertically versus horizontally.

Comment

I have also seen (but don't have) helmets that are almost like the typical type 2 helmet, but have extra straps or are lined with fur where usually a type 2 isn't. I'm not sure, but these may be sorta the style between the type 30 and type 2. I just haven't heard of a style designated a "type 1". Must say, my interest is pipqued!

Again, maybe you have one of these variations, so I'd love to see any pics!

I think I've got this terminology from Gary N., and I believe it's also used in his book by osprey. Will check that and Prodger's book when I get home...

Comment

If I had it I would take photos, but it was offered to me I can buy it for 1200.00 for the helmet and goggles I think it is a tad high in this economy. I feel better paying 1000.00

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X