Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese sword ID?

Hi,
    I posted this sword a short time ago and didn't get any responses. I am hoping someone can help me identify this Japanese sword. There are no visible markings and the condition is rough. The scabbard is wood with a leather covering. The blade is heavily oxidized, and it appears to be missing the pommel cap. I would like to know what era this sword comes from, and if there is anything available to improve the condition of the blade? Your help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Mike
    Attached Files

sword

j
    Attached Files

Comment

j

s
      Attached Files

Comment

scabbard

s
        Attached Files

Comment

given the oxidation of the blade, you're going to have to take pictures of the "tang" or the part of the sword that is under the handle. you'll have to remove the handle and take pics of both sides.

the wood handle should be held in by a single wood peg. after pushing out the peg, it should wiggle off. if not, try picking up the sword by the handle with one hand (point facing up and away from you, sharp blade side facing away from body towards the ground) , and with the other hand make a fist, and (NOT HITTING THE SWORD), firmly hit the top of the hand holding the sword, or tap the forearm area of the arm holding the sword. This should loosen the blade from the wooden sword guard.

try not to handle any part of the blade with your hands (oil = bad). Use a cloth or even a paper towel if you need to touch/hold any part of the blade.

hope this helps...

Comment

Japanese sword

Thank you for the tip. I will attempt to remove the handle and take some additional photos.
            Thanks again,
            Mike

Comment

Japanese sword

Here are a few additional photos of the inner portion of the swords handle. Please let me know if they tell you anything about this item.
              Mike
              Attached Files

Comment

sword

h
                Attached Files

Comment

s

b
                  Attached Files

Comment

sam

bl
                    Attached Files

Comment

sorry too say, but to me, the handle is so crude, it would lead me to believe this is a chinese fake. I also see the tsuba (guard) alittle in the photos, and also leads me to think this is a fake.

I'm not an expert in this area; just have some small hands on experience. will let other weigh in.

Comment

I Have Seen Identical Swords Over The Years In The Hands Of Veterans. I Have Never Been Able To Pin Down Exactly What They Are. All Have The Crudely Finished Tang With The Hammer Marks. My Thoughts Are They Were Either Theatre Made Replacement Swords For Officers Who Broke Their Blades Or, They Were A Sword Issued To Officers Of Non Japanese Asian Units Fighting With The Japanese. Somewhere, I Still Have One Laying Around That Is Still In The Shipping Container That The Soldier Sent It Back In. These Are Definitely Period, But As To What They Are, I Have No Idea. One Thing They All Have In Common Is The Silver Tsuba And A Poor Quality Leather Cover As Seen On This Piece.

Comment

great info! thanks again Bob. could they have been one of the earliest attempts to cash in on souvenier hunters by the locals? but the strike nicks in the blade kinda seem like these might have actually gotten some use...
                          jpn version of a machete?

Comment

samurai

Great information, would anyone have an approximate value for this piece?"

Comment

Originally posted by kaigunair View Post
                              great info! thanks again Bob. could they have been one of the earliest attempts to cash in on souvenier hunters by the locals? but the strike nicks in the blade kinda seem like these might have actually gotten some use...
                              jpn version of a machete?
                              I HAVE CONSIDERED THE CONCEPT THAT THESE WERE MERE SOUVENIRS. HOWEVER, ALTHOUGH CRUDE, THERE ARE FEATURES OF THESE SWORDS THAT ARE NOT FOUND IN THE TYPICAL "ISLAND SWORDS." BESIDES A FAIRLY WELL FORMED TSUBA, THIS FORM OF GUNTO ALSO HAS A RETAINING SPRING AS FOUND ON YOUR STANDARD SHIN GUNTO MOUNTING.. THESE ARE FEATURES I HAVE NEVER SEEN ON NATIVE WORK.
                              THESE ARE CURIOUS PIECES BUT ARE QUITE DIFFICULT TO SELL.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X