This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RussellM View Post
    I think there is a difference between restoration (using original parts), restoration using whatever you can fabricate, and conversion. Although I don't know a great deal about Japanese helmets, there seems to be quite a difference between an original Japanese helmet and an already converted one, particularly to the attachments holding the liner and chinstrap. Others with more experience may comment, but I think it would be quite noticable if one of these was converted back from Thai to Japanese. Likely the paint would be wrong and fresh, maybe some holes filled from the attachments etc. Possibly non-original rings and rivets that Mike was referring to, and trying to find an original liner appears to be very difficult. I stand to be corrected but restoration techniques already employed by some collectors may be useful information for those wishing to attempt such an undertaking. Restoration or conversion efforts (I assume) are likely to be visible, unless all original parts are used, but I'm sure experienced helmet collectors would be able to tell the difference.

Regards
    Russ
    Thanks, Russ. And in a rare step into reality, I really understand what MagicD is saying. But, if we stop communicating because somebody else may misuse the information, then we have lost something. I only want to make my Type 90s resemble those extant at the the time of the conflict. So, check your underwear tag and make sure it isn't a couple of sizes smaller than it should be. Then go have some FUN! Gracias!

Comment

I also fully understand magicdutchmen's point, but I don't think Mike, you're looking to make the perfect fake, which you've just confirmed. Personally, I'd just try and get an original shell and leave it as it is - I only have one, which came with a repro liner, but it still has the original rings in it. I like to leave these things un-touched, because a restoration or conversion will never quite be the same as an original item, complete or not.

Regards
      Russ

Comment

Originally posted by RussellM View Post
        I also fully understand magicdutchmen's point, but I don't think Mike, you're looking to make the perfect fake, which you've just confirmed. Personally, I'd just try and get an original shell and leave it as it is - I only have one, which came with a repro liner, but it still has the original rings in it. I like to leave these things un-touched, because a restoration or conversion will never quite be the same as an original item, complete or not.

Regards
        Russ
        Best advice yet. Much less work! I bought a Sino-Japanese relic on e-bay, with the star, original rivets and rings, paint all gone, but it still says a lot. I appreciate what you say.

Now, if anyone has some restroration ideas for those Japnese>Thai helmets, I still wanta hear 'em! Hell, ANYTHING can be improved. But I ain't paintin' that S-J helmet for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by mcmike View Post
          Just remember, if it weren't for people like my father, you wouldn't be able to type in English now. O.K., so my father didn't really do anything about that whole WWII thing. But if he wasn't wearing a dress he would have deifinitely be in that Bridge too Far thing. Then where would you be?
          Think about it.
          This is going way offtopic, there are the ones who are full of sh!t. You are one of them. Seriously, what do you want me to comment on this useless remark. Respect is what mathers, and you my friend are highly underestimating your surroundings. You think about that if you can.

But, if we stop communicating because somebody else may misuse the information, then we have lost something.
          I suggest you order some refference books. Or google around for "Japanese ww2 lids". You might be surprised what pops up on you're 15" screen.

So, check your underwear tag and make sure it isn't a couple of sizes smaller than it should be.
          I wear shorts!! Need I say more about this??

I like to leave these things un-touched, because a restoration or conversion will never quite be the same as an original item, complete or not.
          Ditto, this is a militaria forum where original items are shown. If you want to restore/replicate..please seek your needs elswhere.

Comment

Originally posted by magicdutchmen View Post
            This is going way offtopic, there are the ones who are full of sh!t. You are one of them. Seriously, what do you want me to comment on this useless remark. Respect is what mathers, and you my friend are highly underestimating your surroundings. You think about that if you can.

I suggest you order some refference books. Or google around for "Japanese ww2 lids". You might be surprised what pops up on you're 15" screen.

Ditto, this is a militaria forum where original items are shown. If you want to restore/replicate..please seek your needs elswhere.
            Ooooooo, CRANKY!

Comment

Originally posted by magicdutchmen View Post

DutchPerson:

Sooo, all that other stuff aside, and forgetting the naughty word you used, do you have any resotration tips you want to share?

xoxoxo

Comment

Originally posted by mcmike View Post
                DutchPerson:

Sooo, all that other stuff aside, and forgetting the naughty word you used, do you have any resotration tips you want to share?

xoxoxo
                In reflection, translating language is one thing, translating humor, if such it be, is another. I think I have insulted the Magic Dutchman inadvertently. For this I apologize.

Comment

All cool Mike, I've hopefully made my point clear.
                  Ow, and there is an edit button>> consider the use

Comment

This Thread Is Going Nowhere Fast. Therefore, It Is Now Closed. In The Future, Respect Each Other And Agree To Disagree Without Insults.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X