Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sake cups #2

Hey all,
    Just wanted to show a few of my recent pick ups before packing them away for home. My contract is finished here in Japan and now it is back to the US.

This first cup is rather scarce in that it has a signed flag as part of the picture. I have seen two different patterns with different slogans on the flag, maybe there are more. Interesting cup.
    Attached Files

This grouping is a set of three matching cups for a soldier who served in the
    2nd Infantry Regiment in Taiwan. The cups have no cracks or chips. Taiwan cups seem to be somewhat rare.
    Attached Files

Comment

closeup
      Attached Files

Comment

This next cup is a scarce vehicle type showing the Type 92 art. tractor.
        Attached Files

Comment

Nice, Tom!
          Thanks for sharing the pics with us.

Just out of curiosity, what are you feelings now that you are leaving Japan? Anything you'll miss?

I've been back from Japan for over a year now, and miss the country. I'd miss it even more if I didn't have a Japanese wife!

Comment

Hey Andy,

Thanks!
            Yeah, there is a ton of stuff I am going to miss. That is why I am stocking up now on experiences, particularly those of the food variety. I LOVE kaiten sushi (conveyer belt sushi) and have been going to different ones in my area. Nothing beats aburi salmon! (In my humble opinion, a little blow torching can elevate one's dining experience to new heights at kaiten.)

I will miss the mostly cheap militaria as well. I doubt I will ever find a Nomonhan medal for $40 when back in the states.

Comment

Here is a closeup of the tractor cup. I think the inscription is 8th Heavy Field art. I would be interested in hearing any other opinions on that inscription.
              Attached Files

Comment

Here is a rare lacquered Navy cup with an anchor on the helmet.
                Attached Files

Comment

Closeup
                  Attached Files

Comment

There is kanji on the outside that includes the Yokosuka navy base name as well as 3 further kanji that I have no clue as to their meaning. Maybe some administration/group designation? Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

Oops! Thats what the kanji are: station. so basically it is Yokosuka Station. There is other kanji btw.
                    dating the cup to 1939.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by GeorgeP; 07-23-2008, 03:50 AM. Reason: extra info.

Comment

Comparison with an army cup. As one can see, the designs are roughly the same. It seems like the sword/sakura/helmet combo. was rather popular w/cup makers. I was really happy that I was able to pick up this cup. I do not see naval helmet cups very much at all. If anyone has cups that are similar, I would really like to see some. Thanks for looking!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Nice naval cup. I have a bottle with badged Naval helmet. I am looking for the cups to go with it. They are out there. I have seen a perfect match on e-bay but missed it.
                        Scott

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X