WöschlerOrden

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Japanese Commando Dagger? Equivalent units in IJA or IJN?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Commando Dagger? Equivalent units in IJA or IJN?

something that's been on my mind was if there was a japanese equivalent to the Fairburn Stykes dagger. for that matter, was there a japanese equivalent to special forces or commando units during wwii? I believe the NLF was more like the Marines, so perhaps the paratroopers were like elite forces?

No such thing that I am aware of. Although like most anything to do with so called "elite" (read NLF) units, one will always come across somebody making claims for something or other.

CB

Comment

I was just thinking the same thing the other day. I had just finished "No Surrender" the story of Hiroo Onoda. He had said all through the book that he was a commando or at least recieved Guerilla warfare training. What unit would this have been? Is this just an example of the language barrier between English/Japanese? Like a for lack of a better word situation?
      Scott

Comment

He was trained by the famous Army Nakano School. See here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakano_School

Also, there was a special knife issued to paras. I'll find the photos and come back on this.

Comment

The only thing that comes to mind is the "special purpose" type 100 bayonet which was a modified type 100 short bayonet. The scabbard, blade shape (tip/point) were modified & there was a leather closure strap addition. The knife closely resembles a German youth knife.

Comment

The Nakano school seems more like an equivalent to the OSS!

So, other than the paratrooper type bayonets (I believe there are two different versions?), no other specialty blades? How about an UDT (underwater demolition team) equivalent blade for IJN? I think I saw something like this up on fleebay, but figured it was a fake.

On a similar note, is there book, website, or museum on Japanese counter-intelligence gear, like cyphers/enigma machines or even james-bond type items?

found 2 pics of a paratrooper smg and bayo, but it isn't the best. not sure which bayo it is either...
            Last edited by kaigunair; 07-14-2008, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Komiya View Post
              He was trained by the famous Army Nakano School. See here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakano_School

Also, there was a special knife issued to paras. I'll find the photos and come back on this.
              Thanks for the answer and the link Nick. Judging from Onoda's dedication and fortitude they were turning out some excellent quality officers. It must have been a tough school.
              Scott

Comment

well, lookie here, a japanese diving knife:
                http://cgi.ebay.com/Japanese-Type-30...QQcmdZViewItem

or ???

Comment

Thats not a Japanese diving knife. Just another GI theater made job or somebodies homemade project. Deceptive description here and the seller probably knows it.

CB

Comment

Originally posted by kaigunair View Post
                    well, lookie here, a japanese diving knife:
                    http://cgi.ebay.com/Japanese-Type-30...QQcmdZViewItem

or ???
                    That is totally wrong for a IJN divers knife. They used the worldwide standard for that time period. It would be the rounded scabbard w/ rounded handle. The knife would be threaded or notched by the hilt to enable it to screw or lock into the scabbard. This would make it hard to lose. The regular modern (like the modified bayonet in the bay auction) ones are so easy to lose. We have lost maybe 10 over the years. I only wear one now if I go on an ocean dive. This picture is in an EXCELLENT IJN photo album running on e-bay right now. You can see the knife on the divers left chest. What a great album this is.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Striking 9th; 07-15-2008, 08:07 PM.

Comment

that is a great photo. thanks!

saw that photo album too, but didn't see the knife. original photos are neat, but I always worry about how to properly store them, so I've been letting my stuff go unless its really important (i.e. a neat flight related photo).

hope you win it!

Comment

Originally posted by kaigunair View Post
                        that is a great photo. thanks!

saw that photo album too, but didn't see the knife. original photos are neat, but I always worry about how to properly store them, so I've been letting my stuff go unless its really important (i.e. a neat flight related photo).

hope you win it!

I put my pictures in an acid free conservation (archival) sleeve. There have been several really nice albums for sale of late.
                        Scott
                        Last edited by Striking 9th; 07-16-2008, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Finally found the photos. Worn at the leg and used in the same way as the German gravity knife.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Produced by a manufacturer I know well
                            Attached Files

Comment

A very interesting knife, but was this bayonet converted by the factory or was it done on a smaller basis, perhaps by unit armorers?

CB

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X