Japanese Helmet Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Helmet Help

I know little to nothing about Japanese items. Your comments on this helmet please. I have reviewed a few on the forum, but have not found any with this kind of liner.
    Attached Files
    HC

Attached Files
    HC

Comment

Attached Files
      HC

Comment

Attached Files
        HC

Comment

It's a Thai conversion not worth much

Comment

Thanks, can you elaborate on what a Thai conversion is? Is it an original Jap shell converted for Thai use after the war?
            HC

Comment

HC, yes you are correct post war conversion.

Comment

Consider Restoration

If you own this helmet, or can buy it cheaply, consider restoring it. Beware of the repro helmet liners out there, I have bought 2 of them and they were both too big to fit into the helmet correctly. You can purchase repro IJA stars and NLF helmet badges reasonably, and also repro chin straps.

Then you have to match paint; I have not found a reasonable color match yet, but I will. This is fun to do, and in the end you have a helmet which was probably worn by a Japanese soldier in WW2 (or thereabouts) and it looks fine on a helmet stand. A little authenticity is better than none at all. Good luck!

On the other hand, if you want to sell it for $25 let me know!

Comment

So the paint currently on the helmet is not Japanese ww2, but was repainted by the Thai?
                  HC

Comment

Helmet color

sorry, I am not the expert around here on helemt colors. Also, the camera often lies when it comes to colors. Look back thru some of the threads in this forum and you will get a good idea of NLF and IJA colors. If you think yours is right, you're halfway there.

Comment

The Thais bought surplus helmets drilled new liner holes for a different liner type and painted them the mustard color

Comment

What I find interesting about that liner is the amazing similarity with the WWII American helmet liner. Check out the web configuration, "A" fittings, and sweatband. Obviously, whoever put it together took the idea from an American helmet.

Steve
                        ~ The true test of a democracy is how well it protects the rights of its least popular citizens. ~

~ Never cross swords with an unworthy opponent. ~

Comment

Yes Steve, my thoughts exactly when I looked at it. Thanks for the additional info Banzi64.
                          HC

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X