Beautiful Katana Sword ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beautiful Katana Sword ?

Hi,The blade on this is 29" and the overall lenth is 41.750.It is a work of art(It Looks Like one) I am not sure if it is an original or all show and no go.I would like. your expert opinion.The tang is virgin and has the #75 on it it also has light red rust.I would like to know if it is indeed a katana how old it maybe if its original and value if any. Let me know if you need anymore details.Thanks DD
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Your sword

Without going any further (from seeing the pictures that have just been posted), this is a currently made Chinese copy. These have been flooding the world market for a few years now.

Value is whatever a person is willing to pay. They are not worth very much at all and are normally being sold as original antique Japanese swords. I had a Chinese importer bring me 8 of these at one of my antique shows and was willing to sell them to me for $15.00 a piece.

Regards,

Chuck

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Chuck,So this is a cheap $15.00 Chinese import.It sure fooled me.Makes me wonder what they make and sell when they apply themselves.Is not the handle wrap well done.Never buy a Luger without taking it completely apart and a Japanese sword without removing the handle .(it was my first clue that it was not right).Japanese swords here I come.

Comment

Japanese Swords Do Not Require Removing The Handle To Judge Whether They Are Or Are Not Legitimate. When I Learned The Art Of Sword Appreciation, The Signature Was The Last Hing We Looked At. By The Time You Study Its Basic Features, An Informed Student Should Be Able To Determine The Age Of The Blade, The School It Came From And Possibly The Swordsmith. The Blade Shape And Construction Should Tell You Enough. If You Are Interested In Buying Japanese Swords, First Look At Genuine Examples And Study The Shape, The Steel, The Grain And The Temper Line. This Thing Has Absolutely No Relationship To A True Nihonto.

Comment

Did you buy the sword that you posted? I agree with vonStubben and Bob as this is a Chinese fake. I bought two books before buying my first shin-gunto and still it took me a while before getting one. The books were “The Samurai Sword” by Yumoto and “Military Swords of Japan 1868-1945” by Fuller & Gregory. I was fortunate to have lived near the shop “Bushido” owned by Mr. Benson who in many occasion had some guntos come through his shop and were able to have a “hands on” experience with them.

Other books to look for,
                          *Japanese Military and Civil Swords and Dirks (Fuller & Gregory)
                          *Swords of Imperial Japan 1868-1945 (Dawson, he has a new book out that is more detailed)
                          *The Japanese Sword (Seto)
                          *Yasukuni swords, Rare weapons pf Japan 1933-1945 (Kishida)

You can get more information surfing the web. Check ebay, you’ll see a lot of the Chinese swords being sold as Japanese. Ebay is a great place to see fakes and study them as some of the Chinese sellers have great pictures. Use books to see the difference between a real samurai sword (and shin-gunto) from a fake Chinese wannabes mounted in both civilian and gunto mounts.

I agree with what Bob said, “If You Are Interested In Buying Japanese Swords, First Look At Genuine Examples And Study The Shape, The Steel, The Grain And The Temper Line”. That’s some great advice to go by.
                          Good luck,
                          Rodney

Comment

Yes I did buy the sword.I have had and have many Japanese swords.This was the first fake I have every had in buying a Japanese sword,but I am sure like in German items It won't be my last.Like most military items one needs a hands on inspection.I have seen Chinese fakes but I still thought this sword looked better.I will take a chance on items.Did you know that military swords of the modern area just don't cut it to a true Japanese sword collector.This sword was worth the miniscual amount I paid and was refunded on it.Its been a good and fun experience.An expert is one who has bought more crap than oneself.It takes time for some of us to become know it alls.

Comment

Sword knowledge

Dr. D..........I have over 50 real Japanese swords ranging from late 1300 to late WW2.......I am a novice when it comes to these swords(my father passed them on to me) but am learning more and more each day. My suggestion is to find a local expert and sit down and examine each sword. My fathers friend who knows as much as anyone out there....taught me quite a bit in just a short time. At least....now...when I look at my swords ..I understand what makes each different and significant. Give me a call and I'll hook you up with someone who can really help....Dana 501-940-3886

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X