Flying mitts? ID and Value, please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flying mitts? ID and Value, please!

Recently acquired these in the bottom of a USAF vet's B4 flight bag. His widow identified them as his 'winter gloves'. Upon closer inspection they appear to have Japanese markings on them. I figured this was a good place to find out for sure...

Gloves are made of course gray/tan wool(?) with leather (suede) palms and trigger finger, and white (rabbit?) fur lining. Thin leather wrist adjustment with leather tab and small brass buckle. Condition is virtually mint.

Many thanks!
    Don

These are known as winter mitts for Japanese Army vehicle drivers. Sorry, I don't know what they go for.

Comment

As Nick said these are often misidentified. I see them on eBay & they're usually in mint condition.

Comment

Nick and Jareth - thanks for the info. Interestingly, I did find them in an old reference "Imperial Japanese Army and Navy Uniforms & Equipment". It's all in Japanese but I did see a photo of a pilot next to his plane wearing what appears to be the same gloves (photo 168, p. 70), and then also under an accoutrement section (photo 705, p. 176). An English translation of the photo captions says, "Army pilot, winter wear".

Could they have been worn for both pilots and drivers? Sort of a general issue winter mitt for the IJA?

Jareth - any thought on value? PM me if you have any thoughts...

Thanks!
        Don

Comment

Don, army flight gloves were "fingered". You'd need all your fingers to use controls. The photo you included shows army flight gloves not mittens. You just can't tell from photo. The only similarity between driver mittens & aviation gloves are the closure/tightner straps. There are numerous errors in Nakata's book. Some in the translation & others just incorrect info. I'd say your mittens are worth between $175. - $225.

Comment

Jareth,
            Thanks very much for the clarification. The fingered/no-fingered explanation makes alot of sense. As I've said before, there is no perfect reference!
            Don

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X