Beautiful Old Japanese Art

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beautiful Old Japanese Art

Here is a unique souvenir brought back from Japan in the 20's. It is a beautiful tapestry. All the gold thread is actual gold. The silver thread is actual silver. It seems to be made of the highest quality material all the way around. The eyes of the fish almost look real. The fabric the fish is stitched/mounted to has crashing waves painted on it. Whoever did this was an artist of the highest degree. No expense was spared. No corners were cut. Just a very beautiful piece. I know it is not the norm of what is posted here. Still I hope everyone enjoys it. I was just spellbound by it. Sorry for the quality of the pics. I just had my camera phone.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Striking 9th; 07-10-2008, 11:14 PM.

Attached Files

Comment

3. Close up of the waves. You can't tell from this pic but everywhere you see gold is actual gold thread in varying sizes. Very intricate detailed work.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Striking 9th; 07-10-2008, 06:55 PM.

Comment

4. My pics just don't do it justice. Can anyone add anything info wise?
        Attached Files

Comment

This may have once been a section of kimono fabric. Work like this is actually fairly common to be seen on special occaision kimonos for both men and women. It is still done today for womens bridal kimono, but the workmanship is not rarely as good of course.
          It appears to be framed so I cant see the edges, but if the edges are bound or finished it could also be from a furoshiki, or wrapping cloth for presentation purposes.

CB

Comment

This may have once been a section of kimono fabric. Work like this is actually fairly common to be seen on special occaision kimonos for both men and women. It is still done today for womens bridal kimono, but the workmanship is not rarely as good of course.
            It appears to be framed so I cant see the edges, but if the edges are bound or finished it could also be from a furoshiki, or wrapping cloth for presentation purposes.

CB

Comment

Originally posted by cbuehler View Post

CB
              Thanks for the info CB. I am not sure on the edges. I saw some of the gold thread peaking out from where the frame overlaps the item. I can't be sure that it goes all the way around. The small edge segment looks to be that same gold bullion thread.
              Scott

Comment

Her husband's father was a business man over there from the teens through the 30's. That is all that is really known about it. They have a few other pieces. The rigid attention to detail on all of them is obvious and spectacular. Thanks again for your input Conrad.
                Scott

Comment

To be precise, what you see is not yet a dragon, but a carp morphing into a dragon. This is based on a Chinese legend of a carp becoming a dragon after successfully swimming up a magical waterfall.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Komiya View Post
                    To be precise, what you see is not yet a dragon, but a carp morphing into a dragon. This is based on a Chinese legend of a carp becoming a dragon after successfully swimming up a magical waterfall.
                    Thanks for the info Nick. I will pass that along. I kind of thought the head looked to be a dragon. Yet it was obviously a fish. That puts a little bit of an explanation of the content behind it. My wife has looked up at it since she was a child and always wondered. Thanks so much.
                    Scott

Comment

Thanks for sharing it with us, Scott! I love traditional Japanese art, too. Ironically, my Japanese wife doesn't appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Harris View Post
                        Thanks for sharing it with us, Scott! I love traditional Japanese art, too. Ironically, my Japanese wife doesn't appreciate it!
                        No problem Andy. There were some members of my wife's family who did not like this. It grew on them over time. I was drawn to it the first time I saw it.
                        Thanks, Scott

Comment

Im sure you are aware too keep it out of sunlight.If it is original framing you may want to make sure it is not acidic material

Comment

Originally posted by DR DOLCH View Post
                            Im sure you are aware too keep it out of sunlight.If it is original framing you may want to make sure it is not acidic material
                            It is out of the sunlight. It is not mine so I have no control over it. Knowing the owner I am sure no expense was spared in the framing.
                            Thanks, Scott

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X