Estate sale purchase/gift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Estate sale purchase/gift

Greetings, about a year or so ago while walking thru a local estate sale(no militaria) I spied a small box of trinkets marked "Boy Scout stuff". It was marked at a pretty low price. Upon exam I realized the items dated from the 1930s and this fact was lost on the asking price. I grabbed the somewhat stuffy estate seller and pulled her aside and whispered in her ear that those items could pay for a short Las Vegas vacation. She pulled them aside and I gave her the phone # of a maniac Boy Scout collector friend and shortly there after she reaped heap big wampum. Both her and my buddy were very thankful. She promised to keep an eye out for me. She came thru today with this referal. Old soldiers never die but their stuff passes on. I was able to aquire this group for a more than reasonable price. Best, Bill Bourque
    Attached Files

A nice, clean katana with an early Showa stamp. A very clean bayonet and all the rest. The Purple Heart is not named but some paperwork came with it with his name.
    Attached Files

Comment

pic
      Attached Files

Comment

pic2
        Attached Files

Comment

The temper line is unique, it has what seems to be almost a stick like impression along most of its length.
          Attached Files

Comment

Binoculars. A guess? these are post war? Make as many friends as you can when visiting estate sales. They are all rabid collectors like us. Bill
            Attached Files

Comment

Nice wakizashi, at least that is what it appears to be. I love those WWII leather covered scabbards. The Type 30 bayonet appears to be Matsu****a Kinozoku arsenal manufactured (long known to collectors as "National Denki"). Japanese optics are considered very good, this pair of binoculars might be post war however. The Japanese were very prolific in the manufacture of binoculars in the 1950's. Nice group.
              Zach

Comment

RE: Binoculars....as long as they aren't marked "Made in Occupied Japan" they are war time made

eric

Comment

"heap big wampum" ??? The Native American community thanks you for your condescending remark

Comment

Originally posted by Banzi64 View Post
                    "heap big wampum" ??? The Native American community thanks you for your condescending remark
                    Flag on the play, unnecessary roughness, thread derailment. Political correctness overstep. "Heap Big Wampum" orgin of phrase from about 1710 , the Iriquois tribe. Wampum to mean their word for money/value measurement. In their case sea shells, mainly large ones. These were used in trade with the colonists and a "heap" refered to a 100 clam pile which roughly was worth $100. Hence the phrase "heap big wampum" To this day the phrase "shelling out" money has its origins as does "I paid 100 clams" to this phrase. To shell out a hundred clams more or less means a "heap big wampum" Im unaware that this in any way is condesending or considered demeaning. If it is protocol somewhere that only an Iriquois or Native American can say this I apologise. It dosent seem to be a problem for the local Indian casios to advertise "heap big wampum poker tounaments". Would you find the phrase "mucho dinero" objectable to Latin Americans or the word BANZI, a term used to describe a mass battle charge to infict massive death and destruction condesending? Set the time clock back, resume play, 1st and 10 at the 30 yard line. Bill Bourque
                    http://szabo.best.vwh.net/shell.html

Addendum: Sorry I cant resist. The word "Hillbilly" as in your Location, has always been deemed a sterotypical, derogatory, offensive term refering to Americans of Appalachian heritage.
                    Last edited by hs132; 07-09-2008, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Hello, Im pleased to say this is a 27" katana and the blade is in very good condition. Here is a pic of the bayonet markings and the other side of the bins. Best, Bill Bourque
                      Attached Files

Comment

Binocular
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hello, the binoculars have been identified as a pre war model adopted by the Imperial Army 1923 and are military issue, coated with a dyed powdered cork. Externally in excellent condition, the lens are however clouded. They were designed by German engineers. Best, Bill

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X