Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swords ?

Hi,
    Got these today from the daughter of a veteran. They were stored in a damp basement so all the steel is rusty. I believe the Samurai is a war produced sword. Anyone have any information on the dress swords? Thanks for any help.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

The two swords in the second photo at the top and bottom both look like high ranking officers dress swords with all the engraving on the backstraps on the handles could you get a couple of photos of the backstraps on the dress swords? The Samurai style sword looks like a early NCO sword.

Comment

Thanks for the info. The design looks about the same.
          Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

They look pretty good could you turn them up a bit where I could get a better look a the top of the backstraps ? The both look like they might have family mons on the backstraps.

Comment

Better closeups.
                  Attached Files

Comment

another
                    Attached Files

Comment

I like the swords but I'll let other's more knowledgeable comment on them. Actually I'd like to know if the bayonet has any markings? Thanks. Zach

Comment

The Samurai sword is not an NCO's sword; why in the world would you call it an NCO's sword when the Army NCO swords all had all-metal handles,, no, it's an Army officer's std type,- & where is its scabbard ?? The other two swords that are the same; they are very simply, very common Army Parade Sabers. "Family mons on the backstraps", that's hilarious,- good lord what reference books are you reading on Japanese swords?! Those engravings & the Imperial Japanese symbol of the Chrysanthemum flower are found on every one of these backstraps. There does exist a similar parade saber used by Japanese Police, but it has different markings. I'll leave more detailed explanations to the people who really know these swords much better than I.

Comment

The Two Sabres Are Standard Army Dress Swords. The Fully Engraved Backstrap Was Described In One Reference Book In Error As Being For A General Officer. The Amount Of Detailing On The Backstrap Varied By What The Owner Wanted To Pay. The Samurai Style Sword Is A Standard Army Officer Model And By The Shape Of The Sword, I Believe It Contains A Machine Made Blade.
                          The Condition Is Quite Poor. It Is Unfortunate The Former Owners Cared So Little For These Items.

Comment

Thanks Bob,

I friend just bought the Samaria, he's an expert with this type of sword and he's been looking for a restoration project like this.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X