Pocket Patch Insignia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pocket Patch Insignia

Some Japanese Army pocket patch insignia.
    Attached Files

Bob,
    Jeez looks like you got some new ones. Those are great!

Comment

Are you sure you need all of those?...

Comment

Those are some of the best examples I have ever seen. What more can I say?

CB

Comment

Does anyone have some Naval examples to post? I have only owned a few in my time and currently don't have any. They must be tough to find.

Comment

The other Bob R. has them all.

Comment

Great collection there. I'm on the steep learning curve at the moment regarding Japanese militaria, and still waiting for some reference books to arrive. Please excuse what is probably a simple question, but why/how were these worn, and were they worn instead of the collar insignia? They are very interesting items due to the extensive variety shown here.

Regards
              Russ

Comment

The Japanese Navy did not use these type of "pocket patches" or "hangers".
                (other than a very very few exceptions). The norm for the Navy was a ink written sew on patch with unit codes and name that was stitched or otherwise attached to the breast of the jacket. Officer Rank insignia was not normally included on this patch, but was worn seperately on the collars or sometimes a single one on the breast, or nothing at all.
                Enlisted men of course had sleeve ranks.
                I have an example of a Navy patch, but do not have picture posting ability.

CB

Comment

Originally posted by RussellM View Post
                  Great collection there. I'm on the steep learning curve at the moment regarding Japanese militaria, and still waiting for some reference books to arrive. Please excuse what is probably a simple question, but why/how were these worn, and were they worn instead of the collar insignia? They are very interesting items due to the extensive variety shown here.

Regards
                  Russ
                  Once into the mid Pacific war years, the Army started to discontinue wearing rank on the collars in the field in favor of removable ones that often combined the soldier's name and unit info. Usually the rule was to not have any insignia visable during combat operations in the front lines. There are of course exceptions to this and some photos even show rank still being worn on the collar.
                  Sometimes these pocket hangers were also worn on the side of the field cap or even the helmet cover.
                  As you can see, each one is unique and they were all hand made in the field.

CB

Comment

Does this photo show this type of patch in wear? I just assumed these were a type of nametape? I know nothing about Japanese items, but I have this photo in my collection.

Cheers, Ade.
                    Attached Files

Comment

The photo is pre war and is different from the pocket hanger types. The photo shows indeed show a name tag and unit code or design. This was a typically seen method for identification on Army uniforms before the war in China and Japan and was generally abandoned in favor of the removable hanger types. However, this practice was sometimes seen on uniforms in the home islands by police, para military etc. up to the end of the war.

CB

Comment

I should add that the photo may be very early war as well and he is probably a freshly trained private in barracks in Japan. As mentioned, this small sewn on name and unit/training group patch was a pre war and home island practice.

CB

Comment

Thanks CB. I am glad I posted the pic now. I have a flag and a few other items from the same guy, inc a Sgt Major's collar tab.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Here is a surrendering Japanese medical NCo (Sgt) in the Philippines wearing a pocket patch. looks to be pinned on. I have several that have the original, old safety pin still attached.

Comment

Here is a close-up of the patch. Note the unit markings and Sgt. collar tab sewn above. Looks to be pinned on.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X