Translataion help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Translataion help needed

Hi all, some time ago I bought a Japanese WW2 wallet from a coin shop containing both Yen and occupation notes and varous documents, which look like a paybook and some propaganda ? Can anyone decipher any of this for me, I would greatly appreciate it thanks, Jeff

Pic 1 paybook ?
    Attached Files

Pic 2 Inside paybook ?
    Attached Files

Comment

Pic 3 Propaganda ?
      Attached Files

Comment

Pic 4 other side
        Attached Files

Comment

Pic 5 another, with Spitfires on a carrier
          Attached Files

Comment

pic 6 other side
            Attached Files

Comment

pic 7
              Attached Files

Comment

pic 8
                Attached Files

Comment

pic 9
                  Attached Files

Comment

The owner of the first booklet was obviously a paymaster of the unit as this notebook shows salary payouts to officers from late 1943, early 44. Unit name is shown, but photo too over-exposed for me to read. Skipping the propaganda, the last one is a postal savings account book showing pay-ins, but no withdrawals.

Comment

Thanks Nick for the help, I'll take another shot of inside the book. Do you think I'm right in suggesting the pictures are propaganda related ? , thanks, Jeff

Comment

More pics of the paybook No.1
                        Attached Files

Comment

No.2
                          Attached Files

Comment

The unit number was 2690 and in the post Sept. 1940 fashion, the unit number is preceded by two characters, which are unit codes. The top character is the code for the 18th Army, so though at this time I have not decyphered the second Kanji code, you already know that the unit was a component of the 18th Army formed in 1942 in New Guinea. The second code is not the code used by any of the 3 Inft regiments composing the Army, though. All this matches the presence of the "South Pacific News Letter" (pics 6&7). And have it in OZ, because the 18th Army surrendered to the Australians.

Comment

Thanks for all the fantastic info, Nick , I really appreciate your help on this, I've had this for some years and never known what it was about. Cheers mate, Jeff

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X