I am new to this and need help....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am new to this and need help....

Hey guys, I am new to the site and have just gotten into buying helmets. I am not going to lie, I have limited funds so the helmets I have been purchasing are recreations. I understand that sometimes this topic can be taboo on sites such as this. However, I do not misrepresent them nor am I looking to sell them and lie to a potential buyer. I am looking to buy a WW2 appearing Japanese helmet and am looking for help. The helmet is going to be displayed in my office I like I said before i am looking for a battlefield recreation, not necessarily a collectible (unless you guys convince me otherwise). I would like to find a place to purchase a helmet that is similar as the one below if available complete or if you guys could help me find out where to purchase the pieces and age them.

Thanks in advance guys,
    Brian

here's one site:
    army
    http://www.stewartsmilitaryantiques....e+Reproduction

navy
    Navy it says it comes with a net, but I don't see one in the picture.
    $109.95

net is here:

There was an older thread about a person who does some really nice repros, but they aren't making them any more. he sold them in the $3-400 range.

Hope this helps....

Comment

Thanks,
      I am assuming that if I were it buy one of the helmet covers with the star that would only be used for Japanese army and not Japanese NLF? Any ideas on how to "age" the liner, helmet cover, and netting?

Comment

NLF would have had an anchor on the cover. Do a search of the forum for some good pics.

there's a "salty" real one up in the estand now:
        http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=290666

I have the grass if you need it...just come by with a lawn mower and a free weekend. =)
        Last edited by kaigunair; 05-21-2008, 05:11 PM.

Comment

I am new........

Passing along any sort of information that helps one learn how to make nice "fake" items (especially of the kind that could be sold as genuine if they were to fall into the hands of those who might be less discriminating,) is never a good idea. I am not saying that this is you Brian, but garnering or giving information on how to age items so that they can pass as genuine, old examples is something we should not be passing along here. Just my opinion I realize. Anyone else..........?MikeB

Comment

Originally posted by MikeB View Post
            Passing along any sort of information that helps one learn how to make nice "fake" items (especially of the kind that could be sold as genuine if they were to fall into the hands of those who might be less discriminating,) is never a good idea. I am not saying that this is you Brian, but garnering or giving information on how to age items so that they can pass as genuine, old examples is something we should not be passing along here. Just my opinion I realize. Anyone else..........?MikeB
            Thats why I mentioned that this topic is usually taboo and I would understand if some people did not want to help. I am the type of person that rarely sells anything that I acquire, kind of a bad habit. I just wanted to create a helmet that had an authentic look for decoration, but could easily be told was not authentic. Meaning i am not looking to stamp any markings or serial numbers into the helmet, or paint a soldiers name on the inside. I just wanted to have something to enjoy in my office without the collector price. Not that I am bashing the pricing of the true pieces but with rising gas prices and the economy in its current state my pockets are not as deep as they were a few years back. The way I see it the original helmet that kaigunair posted a link of is a really cool original example, but I figure for $450 USD I could make one the way I want it to look and almost have enough left over for a type 38 or type 99 rifle.
            -Brian

Comment

just spend the 2500.00 and get the real deal it's not going to go down it's an investment.

Comment

I am new........

Roger that Brian. Again, I was not saying you were interested in learning to age items for any nefarious purpose. Unfortunately, there are folks who follow this Forum and could use any of that information to fake items. As the prices of Japanese pieces continue to escalate, more and more fakes will enter the collector arena. Unfortunately, with enough time and practice the frauds get so good that after awhile they too sometimes become "good." That is one of the pitfalls of collecting Nazi militaria. The longer we can hold that off here, the better off we will all be.... MikeB

Comment

Originally posted by MikeB View Post
                  Roger that Brian. Again, I was not saying you were interested in learning to age items for any nefarious purpose. Unfortunately, there are folks who follow this Forum and could use any of that information to fake items. As the prices of Japanese pieces continue to escalate, more and more fakes will enter the collector arena. Unfortunately, with enough time and practice the frauds get so good that after awhile they too sometimes become "good." That is one of the pitfalls of collecting Nazi militaria. The longer we can hold that off here, the better off we will all be.... MikeB

I understand your concern Mike. Perhaps it would be better if someone where to PM me this information rather than post it in the thread. That way any techniques would not be as easily accessible.

And Banzi64, sounds good, can you give me $2300? Even though it is considered a collectible and would probably be a great investment I cannot justify spending that amount with my current situation.

-Brian

Comment

And Banzi64, sounds good, can you give me $2300? Even though it is considered a collectible and would probably be a great investment I cannot justify spending that amount with my current situation.

-Brian

Brian you will have to save your paper route money and get your own so you will appreciate the value of a dollar lol

Comment

Raupleminze, I'm also a fairly new forum member. It really is a great place to learn and talk about japanese items and there are some very knowledgable collectors. At the same time, remember it is a forum, so opinions are a norm - its helpful to build up some thick skin. It also helps to remember typing is a poor medium for communication, leaving much to the imagination, so search out the nuggets of wisdom and step lightly over the rest. 99.9% of the time its is just light humor. And you'll have a much more pleasant experience. IMHO....

Regarding your current question, perhaps a model building website might have better info. As a mainly collector based site, this wouldn't be such a good place. Maybe look for a chinese based forum on artificial aging of antiques....they seem to do the most volume in it!

Comment

Originally posted by Banzi64 View Post

-Brian

Brian you will have to save your paper route money and get your own so you will appreciate the value of a dollar lol

Actually I am a firefighter, regardless money is tight and this is just a hobby......

Comment

Originally posted by kaigunair View Post
                          Raupleminze, I'm also a fairly new forum member. It really is a great place to learn and talk about japanese items and there are some very knowledgable collectors. At the same time, remember it is a forum, so opinions are a norm - its helpful to build up some thick skin. It also helps to remember typing is a poor medium for communication, leaving much to the imagination, so search out the nuggets of wisdom and step lightly over the rest. 99.9% of the time its is just light humor. And you'll have a much more pleasant experience. IMHO....

Regarding your current question, perhaps a model building website might have better info. As a mainly collector based site, this wouldn't be such a good place. Maybe look for a chinese based forum on artificial aging of antiques....they seem to do the most volume in it!

Thanks........

Comment

Originally posted by Raupleminze View Post
                            Actually I am a firefighter, regardless money is tight and this is just a hobby......
                            Brian:

I'm fairly new to this site, too; and exist on a tight budget. It is fairly obvious from some of the responses your received that they would "let him eat cake". To some, real collecting is dependent upon the circumference of one's wallet. They probably drive Hummers, too. Some of us prefer to obtain relics and try to bring them to some semblance of original condition, combining history with contemporary appearance.

So, consider to what the normal helmet, or helmet cover, would be exposed. Sun, the elements including rain, in many cases salt water or salty air, sweat & bodily oils, especially around the areas exposed to human skin, and rocks, sand, an occasional errant coconut, possible missiles expelled from a variety of weaponry.

So all you have to do is figure our how to apply several years of these effects in a few weeks. Wash your repro helmet cover several times, add a small amount of bleach in the last wash (simulated sun bleaching), get some vegetable oil and put A LITTLE on your finger and rub around repro headband.

Then get it wet and let it sit out in the sun for a few days/weeks/months. make sure to put someting in the helmet to help the wet leather liner conform to the shape of a skull.

Then, do no harm. Mark the helmet or cover in such a way that future buyers (and you or your heirs WILL sell this stuff) can readily discern that it is repro.

I'm trying to learn the same stuff, so maybe we can assist each other.

Elder flatulant

Comment

Originally posted by mcmike View Post
                              Brian:

I'm fairly new to this site, too; and exist on a tight budget. It is fairly obvious from some of the responses your received that they would "let him eat cake". To some, real collecting is dependent upon the circumference of one's wallet. They probably drive Hummers, too. Some of us prefer to obtain relics and try to bring them to some semblance of original condition, combining history with contemporary appearance.

So, consider to what the normal helmet, or helmet cover, would be exposed. Sun, the elements including rain, in many cases salt water or salty air, sweat & bodily oils, especially around the areas exposed to human skin, and rocks, sand, an occasional errant coconut, possible missiles expelled from a variety of weaponry.

So all you have to do is figure our how to apply several years of these effects in a few weeks. Wash your repro helmet cover several times, add a small amount of bleach in the last wash (simulated sun bleaching), get some vegetable oil and put A LITTLE on your finger and rub around repro headband.

Then get it wet and let it sit out in the sun for a few days/weeks/months. make sure to put someting in the helmet to help the wet leather liner conform to the shape of a skull.

Then, do no harm. Mark the helmet or cover in such a way that future buyers (and you or your heirs WILL sell this stuff) can readily discern that it is repro.

I'm trying to learn the same stuff, so maybe we can assist each other.

Elder flatulant

Thanks, I appreciate your suggestions. I am finishing restoring a Mosin Nagant 91/30 sniper right now, once I am done with that I will try to do this helmet. I may ever risk being crucified by posting pics.
                              -Brian

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X