Where there is a way, there is a will

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where there is a way, there is a will

99% of my research is done on the internet. This time, I decided to try how much background I could dig up on a Fumikichi Ariga who received the 4th Class Order of the Rising Sun on 29th of April 1934. The citation shows his court rank as senior 7th grade, which would normally be eligible for only a 6th class order, so I felt that there might be an interesting story behind it. ( For an explanation of Imperial Court Ranks read my previous post here http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=267456 &highlight=court+rank )
    Unfortunately, order citations do not tell you whether he was a soldier or a civilian, so clarifying that would have been satisfying enough. Here's the starting point. The citation.
    Attached Files

One of the discoveries was a photo of a citation for the Manchurian Incident Medal that he won on the same day. This citation resides in a collection in the Ukraines of all places. The bonus is that citations for campaign medals have military rank info shown and identifies him as a Navy Engineering Lieutenant.
    This was normally the highest rank attainable for someone in the navy who rose from EM rank, and one had to be exceptional to get this far. Unlike the army who did not segregate officers that rose from EM rank, the navy maintained a snobbish attitude about educational background and used special rank names to keep them in their place. Both citations show that he was a winner of a 4th class award already, which means he had previously won the 4th class of the Sacred Treasure.
    Attached Files

Comment

And then the trail finally led to Yasukini Shrine, who have his will. According to the shrine, he died a Commander. Towards the end of the war, some exceptions were made and some Engineering Lieutenants were allowed to rise to Lt. Commander and a mere handful rose to Commander. There is no doubt that he was an exception among exceptions. Here is his will to his wife.

Will of Fumikichi Ariga Navy Commander
      Native of Nagano Prefecture
      Killed in action July 22, 1943 at the age of 56. Solomon Islands

It is 57 years since I first saw the light of day, 38 years and 2 months since I embarked upon my career in the navy.
      To have had the honor of serving in the War for Greater East Asia; a soldier can ask for nothing more.
      Chances of surviving the action that I am about to join is less than one in ten thousand.
      Therefore do not wallow in needless despair upon learning of my death in battle; live strong and proud as the family of a lost soldier.
      In the 30 years that you have been my wife, you have always kept the family together in spite of my frequent absences. That you have worked tirelessly in caring for our children despite your weak health and have rid me of any worries to leave behind in this life, gives me great satisfaction of having had an ideal wife that does a navy soldier credit.
      That we have not had one upheaval, but a happy and well disciplined family throughout the years of our marriage is largely thanks to you.
      Now that Masaharu is already 28 years old and engaged, see to it that the wedding goes as planned and henceforth rely on his council in all matters.
      Be aware that Tooru is also a soldier and that it may be his fate to follow me at any time.
      Until Hiroshi and Isamu are also settled, may you have the strength of heart to live on and pull through whatever it takes.

Rest omitted

Comment

His will on the bill board in front of the shrine in July 2005
        Attached Files

Comment

They feature a new will every month like this
          Attached Files

Comment

Nick,
            Great job as always. How did you track the citation down in the Ukraine? What a heartfelt will, very sad.

Comment

Also his citation for the Manchuko Foundation Medal. To be precise, this is a permit that allows the wearing of a foreign medal. Also somewheren in the Ukraines. Found in a cache file from a past auction.
              Attached Files

Comment

Great work Nick! You brought this story together from 3 different parts of the world. Very neat.
                Scott

Comment

Nick, your my favorite military researcher! Excellent work & extremely interesting story! Just think of all the hidden stories uncovered in our collections!

Comment

Fantastic history and research !!!

Comment

Like father like son. His third son, Hiroshi entered the Imperial Naval Academy on 10th April 1945 and survived the war. His fourth son Isamu is a stone mason in Suwa City Nagano Prefecture today. Masaharu, the soldier probably followed his father's fate, no information could be located.

Comment

"Killed in action July 22, 1943 at the age of 56. Solomon Islands"

Most probably on or around New Georgia? Lots of NLF & IJN personnel in and around that all but forgotten battle area. Also the right time period. Thanks again for sharing this with us Nick.
                        Scott
                        Last edited by Striking 9th; 05-02-2008, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X