Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help With Translation

Gentelmen:
    Here are a couple of documents recently found in a deceased vets photo album. He was on Okinawa, and had these and other pictures from the war. The one seems to be a letter from a Japanese soldier or one recieved
    by one. The tag was in the envelope with the letter, but not sure if it has any thing to do with the letter. Don't need a complete translation, just to get an idea of it's content. The other is what seems to be some kind of record??
    Is the tag a dog tag? My relative had one child and never discussed any of this stuff that he had saved. Picture albums with interesting stuff as well as very gruesome. I will post other pics on another thread.
    Thank's in advance for any help.
    geopop
    Attached Files

Translate

Sorry guys too big a file, back to the drawing board
    Geopop

Comment

Translation

pic2
      Attached Files

Comment

translation

pic3
        Attached Files

Comment

Translate

pic4

Comment

translation

pic4
            Attached Files

Comment

Help With Translation

The wooden plaque is a good luck charm. Yours is pictured upside down. The small hole should be at the top. They usually contain the name of a shrine, a specific holy place or single name (i.e. mountain, crane, etc.) Perhaps Nick or Edokko can help you out with the actual translation piece. MikeB

Comment

Propaganda

Here are a couple of propaganda leaflets included in the album. Two depict Roosevelt as a playboy and a monster ready to eat Australian's. The other is a surrender paper with instructions on the reverse as to how to surrender, also are three Japanese soldiers photos. Still another is a Jeep that had a major
                breakdown! geopop
                Attached Files

Comment

propaganda

roosevelt
                  Attached Files

Comment

propaganda

surrender
                    Attached Files

Comment

surrender

reverse
                      Attached Files

Comment

Soldiers

pic5
                        Attached Files

Comment

jeep

pic6
                          Attached Files

Comment

Good luck charm

Thanks MikeB, I thought it was a dog tag. Maybe it was sent in the letter TO a soldier, will have to wait and see. There are so many pictures this guy saved and never showed them to his only daughter. He passed away so fast and unexpectedly, now they are trying to piece together his life in the service.
                            Thanks again for your help geopop
                            Glad I am back in the forum again, I really missed it!

Comment

The small wood piece is a Omamori from the Naritasan temple. Practically all soldiers had one of these from this temple or its affiliates. It is the single most commonly encountered Omamori from ww2.
                              The papers with all stamp marks etc. is savings or life insurance payments form with all the payments marked up to dates ending in 1942.

CB

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X