Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Beyond Pearl Harbor" website/book release

Hello Friends,

I humbly would like to announce that my book "Beyond Pearl Harbor: The Untold Stories of Japan's Naval Airmen" was sent to printers on Friday. Thanks to everyone for your support over the past eight years.

Expect the book to be in the bookstores by late July 2008.

This book exceeded my wildest dreams. It has the oral histories of seventeen
    WW II IJN pilots and aircraft mechanics and including several that were never interviewed (even in Japan). It also includes over 200 rare photos, lots of IJN a/c profiles, maps, etc. Pearl Habor, Midway, Iwo Jima, etc. all in the words and pictures of the Japanese vets supported by official American & Japanese records.

In the meantime, please feel free to visit my website/blog for more information, book samples, etc. PLEASE NOTE: The gallery is not up but will be soon.
    Please feel free to post any IJN news, photos, etc. on the blog.

www.beyondpearlharbor.com

Thanks for your support!

Ron Werneth

Ron, congratulations on this effort. Looking forward to the publication. I have read two books recently on the tokko (Kamikaze) told from a Japanese perspective and found it most interesting. The pilots you interviewed must have been good if they survived this long during the war!

Comment

Sounds like a good book

Comment

"Beyond Pearl Harbor...."

I too would like to offer my kudos Ron. By the way, your website looks great! I can't wait for you to fully complete it so that I can enjoy more of the story that you have assembled! To have compiled the kind of oral histories that you did were an enormous task I am sure. The effort that you put into your research will become apparent to everyone once Schiffer releases the book in July. I will be one of the first in line to pick up a copy. Congratulations again......... MikeB

Comment

WOW.
          Can't wait for Ron and Mikes books!!

Comment

Damn, I'm going to go broke buying all these new books that are hitting the street!! Hope everybody keeps on writing and publishing though, loads of good info on a wide variety of subjects. Thanks in advance Ron! Jim

Comment

Outstanding Ron, congratulation on having had the privilege to meet these veterans. I was invited on several occasions to the Verdun Survivors Assocation when it was still attended by French combat veterans, and as you noted with the Japanese veterans, they were always pleased that someone was interested in knowing and recording what happened.

I'll definitely be buying a copy.
              Jim

Comment

Hello Everyone,

Wow - many thanks for your positive comments! For the militara fans there will be plenty of useful pictures/gear of interest such as the ONLY award given for attacking Pearl Harbor. The veteran Homna-san allowed me to photograph it. Lots of unpublished photos, etc. too!

I am very happy (but tired!). English resources on the Japanese side of the war are almost non-existant especially if you consider the German-related books, etc. Hopefully, Mike's superb upcoming book and mt work will help change that.

Please check back to the website for the blog (news, excerpts, etc.) and gallery.

Thanks for your support!

Ron W.

Comment

Great website and I'm really excited about your book. Similar to what you wrote in the intro, just last month I got a chance to meet and talk to 2 former kamikaze pilots. My first time meeting any IJ pilot, let alone kamikazes.

There was a documentary screening at the SF asian art festival on the japanese pilots. It had made round in japan to great reviews:

www.wingsofdefeat.com

I went the director's speaking engagement two days before the friday showing, hoping to see the pilots and talk to them. Unfortunately, they were flying into SFO the following day. However, I had bought in my flight hetmet collection in a large trunk, and when I showed the director (Ms. Risa Morimoto), she felt that the pilots would really enjoy seeing it and said that I was free to talk to them in the lobby before the show. Via email, I found out that they were going to be eatting dinner during the actual showing, and I was able to talk them into dinner, my treat (jpn bbq) during the showing. It was the first time I'd met actual wwii IJN pilots, and they were very impressed (the diners next to us and the waiters got a treat too!). I got to ask them a bunch of questions I had about uniforms, but some of their answers made me think that uniforms weren't the topmost things on their mind. (for example, when I asked about a minatogawa blade I had, they said that that was only for the army guys. I pretty sure this isn't the case).

Althought I originally thought I'd be getting tons of info on uniforms, but I left the dinner with something better; a renewed respect for these pilots and excitement in my collection. I did manage to get their signatures.

-haven't actually seen the movie yet, but its supposed to come out on dvd.

pics (I guess I'm not allowed to post attachments yet):
                  http://www.geocities.com/kaigunair/pilots1.jpg
                  pilot ena on the left, pilot ueshima on the right
                  http://www.geocities.com/kaigunair/pilots2.jpg
                  from their post-screening talk. A veteran from one of the ships hit by a kamikaze attack was also there. The three of them held hands and prayed. Mr. Ena recited a poem written by a young kamikaze, who was also a christian.

-I think Ms. Morimoto was going to make a film on what's happened since the film's been releaced.

Comment

Eagerly awaiting "Beyond Pearl Harbor..."

Mr. Werneth,

Best of luck with the new book! Fascinating subject!

Comment

Thank you everyone for your support.

Please check the gallery and updates on the blog:

It is still being tweaked. Please feel free to post IJN Air-related items on the blog.

Regards,

Ron W.

Comment

I'd be interested in posting some IJN items, but I don't believe I can post to your blog...

Can your provide more pics of that really great looking flight helmet on the cover?

Comment

Thanks for your kind words.

I need the check on the photo issue for my blog. Will advise.

The flight helmet is a vet. owned piece that was "loaned" for the cover art.

Thanks,

Ron

Comment

darn, was really hoping to see some close ups. From the pic, there are some unusual variations in the helmet. Although I can't make out what the ear cups look like, from the top of the helmet, it looks like a type 2. However, is see there is fur on the chin strap and what looks like some sort of tighening strap in the back, similar to the type 30's.

A really neat piece...in your book, do you identify it to a particular pilot and is his story in your book? Would love to know more about the service career of that pilot...can't wait for your book!

Comment

Hello,

The flight helmet and goggles belong to "Kaga" Pearl Harbor vet Takeshi Maeda. He wore them from 1938-45! Maeda-san gave the speech at our wedding. You can read his complete war story in my book - incredible! He survived the sinking of "Kaga", Okinawa attacks, etc.

Ron

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X