pacific battlefield aftermath photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pacific battlefield aftermath photo

A number of years ago at an OVMS show in Ohio, there was a dealer selling amazing 8 x 10 photos of view of a battleground somewhere in the Pacific with some of the most graphic views I have ever seen. It was of a hillside where an attack had just taken place and casualties and the debris of war of both sides were everywhere. I have just finishes reading "With The Old Breed" by Eugene Sledge, and I must say everyone should read this one. Many of the battle scenes he discribes in the book reminds me of the photo I saw many years ago. Does anyone have any photos like this to post? I was not sure where to post this question, but since it centers on the Pacific, I am posting it here.

Dan H

Dan, yes, I have photos but can't post . I had the privilage of visiting Peleliu with Gene Sledge's son and we found the pillbox that he vividly described on Ngesebus Isl. I talked in depth with Gene Sledge and he could never return to the island...too many bad things happened.

That photo you describe sounds like the aftermath of Bloody Ridge, Guadalcanal. There is alot of controversy about that photo....if it's the same one I'm thinking of. Just japanese corpses on a hillside with a few Marines mingling around the battlfield...right?

Can you post a pic of that photo?

By the way, W.T.O.B. is perhaps the best first-hand account of what combat was like for the Marines in WWII.

Thanks, Eric

Comment

The pic I think you are asking about is the aftermath pic of Bloody Ridge on the canal. The guy selling copies of it on e-bay is a member here.
      Scott

Comment

Interesting you should mention this. I'm currently doing a Flash animated map for Peleliu, along the lines of the one we did for LZ X-Ray (Ia Drang Valley, 1965). There will probably be four maps for Peleliu, one showing an outline of the preliminary bombardment and three (maybe four) for the landings and capture of the island.

Ref:
        http://www.wtj.com/articles/xray/

Jim

Comment

Eric,
          wow what a privilage to visit the battlefield with Mr. Sledge's son! What a way to get to view history. Anyone interested in the Pacific should read his book.
          Yes, I belive that was the Bloody Ridge photo I was thinking of, maybe some will post a copy of it.

Dan H

Comment

Agreed. WTOB is an excellent book, and a must-have for anyone interested in military history, let alone WWII and the Pacific Campaign.
            Peleliuexplorer, I can only imagine what it must have been like to have had the priviledge of visiting the island with Mr. Sledge's son.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Harris View Post
              Agreed. WTOB is an excellent book, and a must-have for anyone interested in military history, let alone WWII and the Pacific Campaign.
              Peleliuexplorer, I can only imagine what it must have been like to have had the priviledge of visiting the island with Mr. Sledge's son.
              Thanks guys. That "Sledge Pillbox" on Ngesebus eluded me on two different trips in search of it! A very small island but covered in dense jungle growth and coconut palms making orientation difficult! My third trip was with Sledge's son, Henry, and unbeliebably I bumped into it, complete with the shell hole made from the amtank! What a find.

As to that Guadalcanal photo....it may be a staged or movie set shot. It was not taken by any official photographers and looks very suspicious. We can start a new thread just about that photo. Hopefully someone will post it and let the controversy begin...

Good thread, thanks for posting and all the good comments...

Cheers, Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Harris View Post
                I READ THIS BOOK MANY YEARS AGO AND AGAIN A COUPLE MONTHS BACK. ONCE YOU START READING, ITS A VERY HARD BOOK TO PUT DOWN.

Comment

Dean if you have not read it you should. The author was in the same regt as your grandpa. He was also in the same fights. I have the pic but copied it off of the bay. I don't think it would be right to post it.
                  Scott

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X