No announcement yet.

Identity disk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you followed this thread, you would have noticed the tendency of consecutive numbers running within the same division. I gave you info on 3770 because there is a chance that these two units are related, but because 3770 was directly attached to an army, that doesn't narrow down the field enough. If there's no kanji we cannot go further.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Komiya View Post
      If you followed this thread, you would have noticed the tendency of consecutive numbers running within the same division. I gave you info on 3770 because there is a chance that these two units are related, but because 3770 was directly attached to an army, that doesn't narrow down the field enough. If there's no kanji we cannot go further.
      Hi Nick,

Yes, I've been following this thread but didn't pick up the tendency of consecutive numbers...thanks. Also, thanks for helping us with Japanese identity discs. I was trying to help a veteran friend of mine identify his dog tag that he retrieved off a Japanese officer during the Peleliu battle. The officer was killed on the beach, in a sector assigned to the 3d Bn, 15th Infantry Regiment of the 14th Division. I'm sure that is what the code number "3778" represents but I just wanted to confirm this.

Thanks for all the help and info. Also a big thank you to Edokko.

-Eric

Comment

The 15th Inft Rgt had the number 7757, and the 2nd Rgt had the number 7746. If you are right that the owner was from the 14th Div, that still leaves the 59th Inft Rgt, for which I could not find a number. If he was indeed Inft in that Division it only leaves the 59th as a possibility.

Comment

Eric, hey my pleasure, let's go out for some more sake again.

Nick, I couldn't find anything on this tag also, but to give you an idea on how it looks like, the center column area just has the numbers 三七七八 and the left column top to bottom is 中ニ番七五 . Most unusual, but is definitely a field pick-up.

Comment

OK, I gave it another try and we now have a fairly solid lead. Fact: In March 1944, the US Marines caputured a Japanese solidier in New Britain from an Independent Field Anti-aircraft Art. Bn wearing a disc "Go 3778".With that said I've got to get back to work. See if you guys can unravel the rest. I'll come back to it when I can. Checking the order of battle is too time-consuming at this time.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X