Japanese Signature Flag from Okinawa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Signature Flag from Okinawa

Aloha, Just picked this flag up and was hoping that someone can help in translating some of it for me. Mahalo, David.
    Attached Files

close up
    Attached Files

Comment

close up 2
      Attached Files

Comment

close up 3
        Attached Files

Comment

There isn't much content here. The 4 characters for the common slogan of wishing for everlasting fortune in battle is placed at the 4 compass points and the dedication was made to a man with the family name of Echigo. His first name can be read in 4 different ways Sanetaka, Munetaka, Yukitaka or Mototaka, impossible to tell which. Otherwise the rest are signatures, many of which are from the Echigo family.

Comment

Echigo.... what a cool surname.

Comment

Japanese Signature Flag.....

David-
              It looks like there are no corner tabs on the hoist side of the flag but it also looks like there is a sleeve for running a wooden flag pole on the same side. Is that sleeve open on one end to receive a pole, or is this section just folded over material that has been sewn for additional strength? Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MikeB View Post
                David-
                It looks like there are no corner tabs on the hoist side of the flag but it also looks like there is a sleeve for running a wooden flag pole on the same side. Is that sleeve open on one end to receive a pole, or is this section just folded over material that has been sewn for additional strength? Mike
                Mike, yes there is a sleeve for running a wooden flag pole thru that is made into the flag and not just folded over and sewn together, the ties are sewn into the corners. The flag was purchased directly from the veteran from the 1st Marine Division, 11th Marine Regiment, 2nd Battalion, Fox Battery, he said that he found the flag Near Shuri Castle in Naha Okinawa in a large cave big enough to drive a truck into. The flag was neatly tucked inside a discarded Japanese Army Helmet. The Japanese soldier who owned this flag was most likely assigned to the 62d Division under the command of General Fujioka. The vet provided a signed letter with his information, unit, and location the flag was found. I am flying out to Okinawa this sunday for two weeks and taking this flag back with me to be placed in the Battle of Okinawa Museum. I will be getting some cave hunting in while im there. Will post new pics of finds when i return. Thanks to Nick for the great translation. Mahalo, David.

Comment

Hi David-
                  Have a safe trip to Okinawa and have fun caving! The vast majority of Good Luck flags do not have any means of attaching to a flag pole other than their tie strings. Sleeves of the type on your flag are not common- a very nice flag.
                  There tended to be two primary types of flag poles for the larger (non-parade type flags) yosegaki hinomaru. Bamboo is by far the most common. Most bamboo poles that were used for this size of flag came in either 1, 2, or 3 piece sections (most were 2 piece.) The flag was usually tied directly to the pole. Some poles had strings tightly bound and knotted around the stick in which the tie strings from the flag could be secondarily attached. Solid wood flag poles may also be seen. These too are usually found in 1 or 2 piece sections. Many but not all of the solid poles had holes drilled through them that would allow the flag's tie strings to pass through and then be knotted for attachment. Bamboo poles were not usually drilled with holes as this could weaken the thinly made pole over time.
                  Nearly all of the poles were striped by black paint or ink leaving a brown-black-brown-black striping sequence. Many but not all of the poles would have finials, mostly round and painted gold. There were other styles of finials (flag pole tops,) but that is another subject. MikeB

Comment

Mike, Here is an example of a 3 piece one in my collection.
                    Attached Files

Comment

David-
                      Yep, that looks like a nice 3-piece solid wood pole with finial. The solid wood poles usually had solid wood finials but not always. The bamboo poles could have solid wood finials too but not usually. Normally, their finials were of a lighter weight wood. The finial would be drilled out and could be pressed onto the pole. Solid wood poles seem to have solid finials that normally are glued to them. I show a number of types of poles and some finials in my book. Take care, Mike

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 9 users online. 0 members and 9 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X