General Yama****a's regimental flag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Yama****a's regimental flag?

I meet a pacific theater veteran today that had General Yama****a's (spelling?) regiment/honor flag. It's a standard meatball flag with writing covering every inch of the white area and one big Japanese character in the sun. Size is approx. 2'1/2 X 2'1/2...
    The veteran stated that all the Japanese characters were the names of all the fallen soldiers.
    I'm a amateur at Japanese militaria but is this what's called a standard (if there is such a thing) prayer flag of some sort? What would be a value on this? Has anyone tryed to have one of these translated?
    This veteran was present at the surrender of Yama****a and the little forces he had left. Yama****a was supreme commander of Japanese forces in the Philipeans at the time of it's surrender to the allies....he was later hanged.

[ 21 November 2001: Message edited by: Perry ]

If the writing is hand written, it is a fairly common kind of flag. Frequently given were those written on by members of school classes as young men went into the service. Others were made up by friends and family.

Japanese unit flags were typically quite ornate, with bullion and embroidery, and showed magnificent craftsmanship. If that's what you have, it's a true rarity.

Just as every German dagger was taken from an "SS officer", few items seem to have been taken from Japanese enlisted men. So, to attribute this item to Yama****a means you need proof if you don't have a provenance. However, since it has lots of writing, verifying things might be quite easy. Just find yourself someone to do some translating for you.

Many years ago I obtained a set of three beautiful Japanese flags. They had multi-colors, lots of writing, gilt fringe . . . real eye catchers. The vet I got them from said they were battle honors given to a Japanese regiment that had led the vanguard into Shanghai. When I had them translated, it turned out they were prayer flags carried at Japanese civilian funerals. Two of my earliest lessons in collecting militaria: (1)buy the item, not the story, and (2) buying from a vet is no guarantee of anything.

Comment

My point exactly, when the veteran has passed would the story stay with the flag? No it would'nt unless the flag could be translated and linked to Yama****a (or forces under his control) from the writing. The vet is 81 now and kept it all these years because he was attached to it.I passed on the deal as he wanted way to much for it as I had to account for the fact that once he passed I may not be able to link it to Yama****a. I enjoyed looking at it as I don't pull much Japanese militaria out of the woodwork. I took a couple of photo's for my record of the meeting and will post them when I get them developed.

[ 20 November 2001: Message edited by: Perry ]

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X