Japanese Army Commander Badge? - Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forum Members, I need help with the badge shown here. The badge measures 1 3/4 inches tall X 1 1/2 inches wide. It appears to be made of silver and has hollow construction. There are file marks on the pin and also the back edge where I believe someone tested for silver. The swing away pin has tiny maker marks. I believe the top one is a number 8. The lower mark is , I believe K H. The gold star is soldered to the badge and has some wear to the gold gilt finish. Is this a Japanese Army Commander badge? If so is it genuine? Thank you in advance, Harry C
    Attached Files

View of the reverse side - - note the file marks. This badge tarnishes like silver and I believe the file marks were made from a silver test. The body of the badge appears to be hollow. >>>>>>Harry C
    Attached Files

Comment

Maker mark Detail ........Both are hard to read. .....Harry C
      Attached Files

Comment

This is not a commander's badge. I do not have my reference books with me at the moment but working from memory it is an early version of the naval staff academy graduate badge (and very rare if original). There are some excellent fakes of this on the market but I have never seen a fake with a maker mark on the pin. I should be able to get hold of my reference books in a few days and will check it up.

Regards,

Paul Murphy

Comment

Harry, I believe this badge to be a Staff College Graduate Badge. I can not comment on originality, as I have never personally seen or handled one before. Good luck.

Comment

Hi Harry
            I believe your badge is a staff badge also.
            The pic below is of a commander badge that I just recently picked up. It’s the lowest grade of three. The other two grades a quite similar in appearance. That’s why I don’t think your badge to be commander but a staff badge.
            Michael

Comment

Japanese Badge

Michael, Does your Commanders badge have a maker mark? Is the oval shaped body hollow instead of solid construction? I would sure like to determine if my badge is authentic. Thank you very much, Harry C

Comment

Originally posted by Harry R. Cairns View Post
                Michael, Does your Commanders badge have a maker mark? Is the oval shaped body hollow instead of solid construction? I would sure like to determine if my badge is authentic. Thank you very much, Harry C
                Harry, I'm certainly no expert on these but mine sounds similar to yours (hollow back w/maker mark).....It's identical to the one Mike posted but with a gold wreath, and was acquired from a WW2 veteran......Bodes

Comment

Hi Guys
                  heres the back of my badge, there apears to be no maker stamp and it is hollowed out at the back, but not a great deal.
                  the reason why mine probably does not have marker as it is lower grade and might not be made from high grade metals like sliver? just a guess.
                  i cant really comment on if your badge is authenic as im just new to japanese badges also.
                  Michael

Comment

Michael, Looks pretty much like mine.....Only difference is, mine has a small Japanese character (rather faint) under the broad pin (between the pin's hinge and star's tab "ears").....Bodes

Comment

Imperial Japanese Staff Badge

So far we have determined that the badge is not a commanders badge but rather it is a badge for graduates of Army Staff College. I was not able to find a photograph of an Army Staff College badge but I did find a written description which reads as follows..........."silver oval formed with narrowing overlapping petals with golden 5-pointed star superimposed in the center". My badge is, I believe, silver and made of hollow construction. The concave portion being the embossed face of the badge with star soldered and a flat back with pin applied. My badge is very well made, even the pin hinge post is soldered to the back with precision. Surely someone in the collector community has an example of this type of badge or maybe a photograph of one. I would appreciate any help with this badge............ Harry C
                      Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                      X