Sake Cup Issue Box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sake Cup Issue Box?

This sake cup came in this box. Wondering if this is the original issue box. Never purchased a cup that came with a box and don't have Dan's book for reference. Anyone have any idea?

Thank you in advance,
    Tom
    Attached Files

Box view 2
    Attached Files

Comment

In the context of sake cups it is cincorrect to refer to an "issue box" since these were private purchase items, not issue items. The box is a sake cup box. These come in a wide variety of styles, some with manufacturers labels on the lid, in various colours and in different materials. For porcelain cups like this they tend to be cardboard while for lacquer or silver cups they are normally made from wood.

Compared to the number of sake cups out there, the survival rate for these boxes is pretty low. How often do you keep the cardboard container if you buy a new vase ? Most of them would have been chucked in the bin as soon as the soldier got home. The wooden cases for lacquer or silver cups tend to survive more, but not these cardboard ones.

Regards,

Paul

Comment

Hi Paul and thank you for the insight. This is the 1st cup I have acquired that came with the cardboard box. Naturally I saved the box.

Thank you again for the help and best regards,
        Tom

Comment

Hi Tom,

You are welcome. The inscription on the cup says "End of Service Commemorative" just in case you did not already know.

Best regards,

Paul

Comment

Thanks plmurphy, I have been contemplating on acquiring a few of these great sake cups as of late. Could you recommend any refference materials?

Comment

Hunter,
              Dan King wrote a book on sake cups and he touches briefly on sake bottles as well. He'll sell you a signed copy usually for around $50-60 US.

Here's a couple of mine I have displayed.

Tom
              Attached Files

Comment

Nice display. I have over 600 cups in stock to sell once I get back to UK next year so keep an eye on my activities !

Comment

Thanks a lot for the info guys.........GREAT PICS as well!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                  X