X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SCHUPO View Post
    Johnny,

A wonderful group of swords!

These NCO swords used to be looked down upon as just so much machine made trash by many sword collectors. Of course any of the wartime swords are still the bastard step-child to some Japanese sword collectors who would not stoop down to pick up anything but an "old sword." I think you are a very smart collector who has specialized in a very neat area of collecting.

I like these so-called later or "modern" swords too. My main interest is in tha machine made "police" swords but I can certainly appreciate your collection that shows quite a few variations on the theme. Thanks for showing them!

George
    Hello
    The Kempei-tai(military police) also used the Nco Shingunto pattern 1935.
    Best regards
    Thomas

Comment

Thomas,

Yes, thank you for mentioning this information. I have only seen or heard of one Shin-gunto that was an officer sword that had could be identified to the Military Police. It has a five point star police emblem incorporated into the Fuchi where the scabbard release press button is located. I have never heard of a NCO style Shin-Gunto with any police identification on it but I would love to find one. There are certainly photographs of MP officers and NCOs carrying these swords, so we know they were an item of issue to these Military Police NCOs.

It is believed that Naval Military Police (and/or Prison Guards) carried distinctive swords as well. These are larger examples of the standard Police style NCO sword but are obviously Navy issue. The backstrap at the pommel has a fouled anchor instead of the standard police badge and the same fouled anchor is found on the obverse of the scabbard at the drag. Perhaps Johnny will now have to start looking for one of these to add to his NCO sword collection.

George

Comment

Beautiful Shin-guntos sir. They 'aint cheap and are continuing to climb in price. Even though they are machine made they look great, are a wonderful part of history, and add immensly to a collection. In my opinion, highly collectible WW2 relics.

Comment

Andy,Sergey,Gunto,George and Tom,
          Thanks so much for the kind remarks.

Since German WWII tunics have skyrocketed
          I figured it was time to change gears.
          I have only collected these for about a year.

I started with the intention to get as
          many different arsenal markings as I could.
          However I'll settle for the different variations.

I don't mind posting pics so if you have any
          requests let me know.

Thanks.......
          Johnny S

Comment

having got my first NCO sword off of johnny i have to say i just love it!!! these swords are just great!!!! i hope to get myself a nice "old" sword at some point!! but thats in the future!!!keep up the good work!!!

Comment

I too have switched from collecting German militaria to that of other countries, due to the rediculous prices.
              Of course, a lot of my new-found interest in Japanese militaria comes from living here in Japan, and being married to a Japanese woman. Since my son is 1/2 Japanese, I'd like to be able to leave him something he can appreciate.

Comment

Johnny nice swords you have there

Comment

Hey Guys,
                  Thanks for the comments.
                  Here's another wood handle NCO
                  I just got.
                  It's the top one.
                  Last edited by Johnny S; 01-30-2008, 01:05 PM.

Comment

A full shot of both..........

Comment

Even though it is missing the side latch
                      the sword has a lot of personality.
                      Notice the scabbard has been wrapped
                      all the way up to the suspension ring.
                      Kind of like having a camoed helmet.
                      Meaning it has been personalized....
                      Well anyway enjoy............

Comment

Another.........

Comment

Johnny,
                          Nice swords ,looks like you are getting pretty good at hunting these down, very resourceful young Jedi

Comment

Thanks Dean,
                            Yes the power of the dark side is strong in
                            this one.......

Comment

Question on NCO Sword

Congratulations on a nice NCO collection. I have a couple of nice Officer Swords and recently acquired a NCO to round out my WW2 collection. It is not It has an aluminium tsuka with 95% of the original paint and a matching Tsuba with a similar paint condition. An original leather sword knot is also present. Retaining latch is on the top of the sword. Only potential issue is that the blade is so shiney and unblemished it appears that it may have been chrome plated in its past! My other swords have excellent original polishes But this one is especially lustreous. No it is not a Chinese fakers special. Is there any way to tell for sure and if so a possible way to remove the plating chemically? This was from a deceased estate and the children claim their father never messed with the sword. I have not as yet unscrewed and removed the tsuka to see how the blade is finished underneath. I have not mastered adding images as yet and will post some of this sword and my others when I do.

thanks,

John

Comment

NCO Sword Master!

Great grouping Johnny! Looks like you're on your way to cornering the market! My congratulations. I know it's hard work to find 'em and getting more tough now to pay for 'em with prices headed up.

Looking forward to meeting up at the SOS if not before!

William

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                                X