Machine Gun Photo and Unit Info.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Machine Gun Photo and Unit Info.

Can anyone identify the type of light machine gun seen in this photo? I also wondered if anyone had any brief information on the Japanese 120th. Inf. Regt, as well as the 11th Machine Gun Unit which I think was part of the 120th. Thank you for the help. Mike

I'm pretty sure it's the Type 11 LMG modified from the WWI French Hotchkiss. It was unique in that it was fed from a hopper on the left side with loose rounds, no belts or clips. It was prone to jamming and was replaced by the 97 or 99 which was a copy of the Czech ZB26. No idea as to the unit.

Comment

The weapon shown is not a Type 11. It is one of several types of training weapons. The one pictured would have a curved box-type magazine on the left side which is missing in the photo. Other types had the magazine on top. According to W. H. B. Smith's Small Arms of the World at least five versions were known to exist and probably intended to use reduced-charge ammunition.

Comment

I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with Dave as the machine gun in the picture is not a Type 11 Light Machine Gun. The picture shows two men in training outfit and the soldier lying on the ground is handling a 6.5mm training machine gun. An image of the exact same machine gun is featured in Tadeo Nakata's book, page 309. Some differences with the Type 11 LMG are the distance from the bipod to the tip of the gun and the number of cooling fins on the barrel...

I cannot provide any information on the units but I hope the above info will be usefull...

All the best,
        Laurens

Comment

Machine Gun Photo....

Thanks Laurens et.al. I have Nakata's book so I will look it up. This wouldn't be the first time I had a source right under my nose and missed it! Any other feedback would be great. I own this image and one other that appears to show 3 different soldiers in the field but one of the soldiers in it also has the same style gun. The photos were taken out of an old photo album. As for the unit, probably only someone with access to Japanese language sources will have info. on it, but I am hoping there will be something out there.... Thanks again fellas, MikeB

Comment

Machine Gun Photo....

I took a look at Nakata's book on page 309 and it does appear that this gun is listed as a 6.5mm training machine gun. The magazine does appear to fit into a slot on the left side of the receiver as well. Thanks again for the information. MikeB

Comment

Training Machine Gun

Mike B,
              The soldier in front is equipped with a Type Izawa Training Light Machine Gun that was manufactured by the Izawa Firearms Company of Osaka from 1937 to around 1943-45. The factory where these were built was taken over by the Japan Firearms Company - builders of the Type I & II Hamada Pistols - in 1943 and the Japanese text I have describing these is unclear if production continued past that date. Total production is unknown but serial numbers as high as 2000 have been observed. These were chambered in 7mm and had a fifteen-round magazine. The Nakata book shows the Type Nambu Training Light Machine Gun which were chambered in 6.5mm. A third trainer LMG was built by the Japan Target Company and also fired 7mm.

Best,
              Gunnar
              Last edited by ketoujin; 10-03-2006, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Machine Gun Photo....

Hi Gunnar-
                Thank you for the great information on the LMG in the photo! I have to be honest, I was not familiar with this weapon prior to obtaining the photo. MikeB

Comment

I bow to your superior knowledge, guys. I don't own any reference books, I just pulled mine out of memory!

Comment

Machine Gun Photo...

Hey Dave-
                    Not a problem. That's why we are all here contributing so that each of us learns something. I will try and scan a shot of the illustration in Nakata's book so that everyone can see it. Thanks again for all the help. Mike

Comment

Machine Gun Photo...

Hi Guys-
                      Here is the page from Nakata's book that shows the training machine gun we were speaking about. MikeB

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,764 at 12:35 PM on Today.

Working...
                      X