Myetry Medals - Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Myetry Medals - Help Needed

Hi guys, I know ziltch about Japanese medals but in a weak moment I bought all this stuff. What did I buy?

Help
    Attached Files

Next one, this one has the kanji in gold.

Tx,

Greg
    Attached Files

Comment

Next one. More to come.
      Attached Files

Comment

More.
        Attached Files

Comment

Yet More
          Last edited by sabertasche; 04-19-2007, 06:50 PM.

Comment

The final scans. All this came together. I think some are Thai but I can't be sure. Any help out there???

Greg
            Last edited by sabertasche; 04-19-2007, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Mystery Medals...

Image #4 shows Japanese Red Cross Medals. The one on the right with the bow was presented to a woman. Mike

Comment

Image 5 are all Thai: Order of the White Elephant, officer; Freedom Medal; Commemorative Medal on the Occasion of the Elevation of HRH Princess Sirindhorn to the title of "Princess Maha Chakri", 1978.

Comment

Thanks Mike and Jeff. Can I assume these are not particlarily valuable?

As for the Japanese stuff....hopefully some other collector can shed some light on them.

Thanks again,

Greg

Comment

Hi Greg-
                    Just to let you know, the Red Cross Member Medals were issued for the Japanese. Mike

Comment

Greg,

I offer the following:

Photo 1

The kanji on the badge translates to Imperial Japan on the top and Tour Number 1 XXXXX on the bottom. (I can not see the rest of the kanji on the bottom left of the badge.)

Photos 2, 3, & 6

This boxed badge appears to be a civil defense badge. The kanji on the front of the badge translates to Meritorious Commemoration while the kanji on the back of the badge appears to be Honkyo or Hongo Ward Security Group. (Honkyo or Hongo could be the name of the ward.) For other examples of Civil Defense Badges see Pages 142 and 143 of In The Name of A Living God by Paul L. Murphy and Steven L. Ackley.

Hope this helps.

Eric

Comment

First Medal

Hi,
                        The boxed medal in the first picture with the solitary figure on a mountain-top is the Commemoration Medal for the First Japanese Census of 1920. Perchance the figure is Jimmu Tenno? Ackley only identifies him as an "ancient Japanese warrior." Hope this helps.

Best,
                        Gunnar

Comment

Gentlemen,

Many thanks for making reference to my book, In the Name of a Living God. I am glad to see that it is proving to be of assistance to collectors.

Regarding the possibility of this being Jimmu Tenno, this is unlikely. It may be Take-Mikazuchi-no-Kami who is the character that also appears holding a spear on the front of the Japanese version of the Victory Medal. However we could not find a definite reference from Japanese sources who identified him so we left it as a more general description.

Best regards,

Paul L Murphy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,764 at 12:35 PM on Today.

Working...
                          X