Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help With Identifying Japanese Pin?

Hello all,
    Just making a pit stop here. I came across this Japanese pin recently and I was wondering if someone might be able to help me identify it. I don't really come across Japanese stuff that often either I'm looking in the wrong places or it's just slim pickings. Sorry the pictures aren't that good, but hopefully good enough to get a little information good or bad. Thanks for your time

Regards,
    Steve
    Last edited by Ssteve; 12-08-2005, 11:56 AM.

The reverse side...........
    Last edited by Ssteve; 12-08-2005, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Pin

This is a Japanese navy proficiency badge for graduation from submarine school. The badge was issued to both Seamen and Petty Officers. This badge appears to be a second style (painted). The early badges were bronze, and later styles were painted. The late war badges were very crude. While it may not look like it the badge is a cherry blossom with a submarine (silver) making a wake across the front. There is a presentation box that comes with it. It's worn on the right chest and can be worn with other badges such as torpedeo, signals, and communication. Not rare or even hard to find but they are nice badges to have.
      Hope this helps,
      John Egger

Comment

Thanks for the information John!

Do you think this pin is original or maybe a reproduction? I'm hestant to purchase it because the same individual has a few reproduction Luftwaffe badges as well. I can only assume Japanese military isn't immune to fakers or forgers either.

Steve

Comment

Steve,

Check out this link to an eBay auction...

http://cgi.ebay.com/WWII-Japanese-Su...QQcmdZViewItem

Note the similarity of the latch and the hook on this badge (i.e, the one on eBay) to the latch and the hook on the badge that you posted the photos of.

Eric
          Last edited by Eric Doody; 11-27-2005, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Steve,

Here is another eBay auction link...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Japanese-WWII-Su...QQcmdZViewItem

This badge (that is on eBay) has a pin (instead of a latch) and a thin hook catch similar to the other badge that is on eBay and the badge that you posted the photos of.

Eric
            Last edited by Eric Doody; 11-27-2005, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Steve,

Compare the badge that you posted the photos of, plus the other two badges that are on eBay, to the following badge...
              Attached Files

Comment

Note how the latch is secured to the back of the badge as well as the thickness of the hook catch...

Comment

Now, for comparison purposes, here is the backside of a Navy gunnery proficiency badge.

Note latch and hook catch on this badge.
                  Attached Files

Comment

...and, here is the backside of a Navy marksmanship proficiency badge. Note latch and hook catch on this badge.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Pin

Steve,
                      Given the quality of the photos & the repros I've seen it appears good to me.......

Comment

Thanks for the photographs and the ebay links Eric I really appreciate it. Thanks John for you opinion. Can never be too careful these days with the prices of items.

Steve

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X