Neat Japanese Bayonet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike,

I offer the following comments on your three Japanese Type 30 (i.e., Model 1897) bayonets...

Postings 7, 8, & 9

This bayonet was made by Kokura Arsenal and is what Japanese bayonets collectors refer to as a Variation A JB 32 (i.e., a Japanese Type 30 bayonet with a contoured bird's head pommel, contoured wrap-around grips, hooked cross-guard, and bright, fullered, blade). The stampings on the end of the pommel indicate that the bayonet was produced in the (American) 38th Series because of the encircled katakana character "ki." (In general, a series was a 100,000 bayonets.) The kanji character below the series mark and serial number is "ko" as in "Kokura" and is an inspection mark.

Postings 10, 11, 13, & 15 (?)

This bayonet was made by Matsu****a Kinzoku or Matsu****a Steel and is what Japanese bayonets collectors refer to as a Variation C JB 57 (i.e., a Japanese Type 30 bayonet with a flat bird's head pommel, contoured wrap-around grips, hooked cross-guard, and blued, fullered, blade). I can not make out the series and serial number stampings on the end of the pommel in Posting 15. The kanji character below the series mark and serial number appears to be "saka" as in "Osaka" and is an inspection mark.

Posting 14

This bayonet was made by Tokyo Arsenal and is what Japanese bayonets collectors refer to as a Variation A JB 32 (i.e., a Japanese Type 30 bayonet with a contoured bird's head pommel, contoured wrap-around grips, hooked cross-guard, and bright, fullered, blade). The stamping below the arsenal mark on the blade is the kanji character "WA" and is an inspection mark that is typically found on Variation A JB 32 bayonets in the 343200 to 1104987 serial number range.

Hope this helps.

Eric

Comment

Neat Japanese Bayonet

Hello Eric and thank you for the great information on the bayonets. Is this the kind of detail to be found in the bayonet book you recommended in the "Reference Book" for collectors thread? Sorry it took so long for me to get the images posted..... Mike

Comment

Mike,

Insofar as the Variation and JB numbering system the answer is yes, Japanese Bayonets by Larry Johnson has this kind of information.

As for the inspection and series marks or low and high serial numbers the answer is no as most of this information comes from research.

Thanks for posting the photos of your bayonets and I am glad to have been of some assistance to you.

Eric

Comment

Neat Japanese Bayonet

Thanks again Eric. Me needs to find Johnson's book! I will have to keep my eyes open for one. Mike
          Last edited by Eric Doody; 12-08-2005, 02:25 PM. Reason: Spelled out the word "Japanese."

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X