"War Trophy" Documentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"War Trophy" Documentation

Although these are not recent finds it is always very interesting to be able to link a particular document to a war trophy that was brought back by a GI. The papers shown below came with different Japanese swords. The letter, which is getting quite yellowed and brittle, is dated Sept 1945 and gives authorization to Charles Otto Bunning, Slc, USN to retain the listed items as his personal property.

The business cards came with another sword brought back by a Marine Corp officer. The card translates to: "Army Major Matsu ****a. Attached to central company number 23."

Regards,
    Herm
    Attached Files

War Trophy Documentation

WEB105jk-
    You have posted a nice image of a "bring back" paper or Certificate. If a G.I. wanted to bring back an item as a War Trophy it was supposed to be inspected, stamped, and then issued a certificate and a tag. The Government wanted to make sure that none of the items being passed held any intel. information and that they were legitimate trophies of war. There were a number of War Department Regs that covered off on War booty, namely War Department Memo W/370-3-43 (July 22, 1943) and USAFFE Circular No. 21, dated March 5, 1944. Most of us have seen items with the black inspection stamp on it. Usually these are round, square or triangular in shape. They will also have a number that usually corresponds to who was using the stamp, the words "Inspected in the Field" et.al. and often the initials written in of the inspector. Every item was supposed to be stamped with this. Many were not! The "Certificate" will have the name of the G.I. bringing back the item, a description of the item, how many of that item are present, and the name of the intel. officer signing off on the item/s. Each item was then supposed to have a tag fastened to it that contained essentially the same bit of information. The tag was supposed to remain in place until the item made it back to the States, either mailed or carried by the soldier. As stated in an earlier thread, most of these papers are now gone, or have been separated from their original items. Most were trashed in eagerness to display the trophy, but others simply fell apart over time. To have an item with its original certs, tags, stamps, and provenance proving originality to the item is truely rare. Mike

Comment

One of my favorite capture papers/items combination are two papers for four items stamped with "RD 2336". The items are three postcards (one of a cow) and an empty candy box

eric

Comment

War Trophy Documentation

You gotta believe that the enemy could hide intelligence almost anywhere- even up a cow's@#tt even on a postcard!!! Mike

Comment

Herm, Thanks for posting copies of the paperwork you have. Always a treat to see the different formats out there. Are you fortunate to have any of the swords itemized on the paperwork?
          I hope you don't mind me piggybacking on your thread but I'd like to show one of the two papers I have (The other is for a flag and stored in a cedar chest in my sons room that I currently can't get to).

I've had this document for about 18 months, purchased from a friend of an acquaintance in Southern Ohio who occasionally picks up some interesting things. Of interest is this one has the serial number for the rifle listed. Of MAJOR interest is that I was also able to buy the rifle that came with it! The rifle is a completely matching Series 33 type 99 with unblemished mum and complete in all respects. A special day as I was able to purchase the rifle and paper for $225. As we made the exchange, he asked if I wanted to buy the sling that came with it. Sure!, so after a $75 payment I'm handed a really nice condition original sling. Then he asks if I want the sailors nice Mark I knife with his initials ink stenciled on the equally nice leather sheath? Sure! so another 40 bucks is exchanged.
          I definitely agree with Herm & Mike that is a special to be able to tie a bringback item back to the individual and place where it was picke up. Kim

Comment

Documentation

Hi Kim

From what I've seen your documentation that actually lists the SN. of the article/rifle is fairly unusual. These papers are normally quite vague. For example the document that I showed above had items of Japanese equipment listed as: "1 Rifle, 1 Bayonet, 1 Pistol and 1 Knife." When I aquired 2 of these items from the Vet, one was a Nambo pistol and the other the "Knife" was actually a wakizashi (medium size sword). Since they did not readily identify it as a sword they called it a "Knife".

In the case of the Japanese Officer's calling cards, there is nothing on the cards to link them to that officer's sword. They came together when I aquired it.

Herm

Comment

I have an HSc my father brought home-the paper was around when I was a kid-it mentioned a pair of binoculars and they used the number off the magazine, not the pistol. I imagine some Lt was tired of looking at souveniers that day.
              MLP

Comment

Good Old Days...

When I first started collecting, I zeroed in on pistols with original capture certificates. Of course, I let nearly all of them go over the years .

However, one stands out in my mind that I didn't buy. It was a Nambu T-14, and was matched except for the magazine. But the bringback papers listed it as a "Japanese Luger". !!!

I turned it down because "$225 for a Nambu without a matched mag" was just too much to pay ....Of course I haven't seen it since, but it would have been worth having just for the capture certificate!

William

Comment

Two favorites in my collection are 1) "Granade" launcher for type 100 launcher 2) "Rifle with telescopic sight" which I assume came with a sniper rifle.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X