Books on Japanese swords

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Books on Japanese swords

I have recently become very interested in Japanese swords.I went to the MAX but I dont trust my judgement enough to by a sword yet .I have one book "The Samurai Sword"by John Yumoto.What are some other books that will help me?

Books on Japanese swords

Aloha,
    I would look for these books.
    *Military Swords of Japan 1868-1945, R. Fuller & R. Gregory
    *Japanese Military and Civil Swords and Dirks, R. Fuller & R. Gregory
    *Swords of Imperial Japan 1868-1945, J. Dawson
    *The Yasukuni Swords, Tom Kishida
    *The Japanese Sword, Kanzan Sato
    *The Craft of the Japanese Sword, Leon and Hiroko Kapp, Yoshindo Yoshihara
    *Samurai Swords, J. Yumoto
    I really like Richard Fuller’s books but it’s hard to find now (out of print) and you may find them on eBay. Dawson book has a nice section on Japanese NCO swords. Hope these books will help you, good luck. By the way, how was the selection of swords at the MAX show?
    Rodney

Comment

Excellent list. I have all except the second on your list. I'd also include The Japanese Sword by Kanzan Satoh -- usually easily available from Kinokuniya Book Stores. You could also profit by having The Arts of the Japanese Sword by BW Robinson -- long out of print (1961, 1971).

Let me know if you are interested in the actual use of the Japanese sword. I can recommend some books that cover the Army Method (Toyama Ryu, aka "Gunto no Soho") as well as non-governmental methods.

--Guy Power

Comment

Thanks for your help.I am interested in all aspects pertaining to the swords.There were quite a few swords at the MAX a number that I would like to have purchased but I dont trust my judgement yet and dont want to tie up a bunch of money in something that I wont be happy with in a few months.I have liked these for a long time and kick myself for not getting a few that I came in contact with years ago.A friend of mine back in the late 1970's used to buy coins and such at motels,I was with him in Huntsviile Al.and he bought two very nice swords from a man for $25 each I probally could have bought them if I had pressed it but I didn't.I talked to him this past week and he told me he bought about 60 swords while he was doing this.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X