• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Naval donald duck cap talley

Last edited by MilitaryCollect; 10-13-2005, 03:30 PM. Reason: deleted

Last edited by MilitaryCollect; 10-13-2005, 03:29 PM. Reason: deleted

Comment

Good Morning Christopher,
      Nothing like starting the morning off with a big question mark. I collect Japanese naval cap tallys so this is interesting and not like anything I have seen before. Prior to the very begininning of the war Japanese cap tallys had the names of ships, bases, units, etc "silk screened" in gold on them. The kanji would read right to left. Sometime in the early 1940's they eliminated these and went to an embroidered tally that would read left to right and all of the tallies would read "Great Japan Imperial Navy". This tally reads (with my limited Japanese) left to right. The first kanji on the left is "O" I can't find the next character but I think that combined with the first this is a place. The next characters puzzle me but together they would read as "nation or country" or "kokumin" but they are written in reverse on the tally. The last two kanji are easy "Kaigun" or navy. The tally is a big contridiction to me. The construction and the way it's lettered.....perhaps Eric or someone else can make some sence out of it. Always something different showing up....
      John

Comment

John and Christopher,

I believe this tally is Chinese or Taiwanese and not Japanese. However, since I am presently without my handy-dandy kanji dictionary I will have to confirm or disprove this later today/tonight.

Eric
        Last edited by Eric Doody; 10-05-2005, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Last edited by MilitaryCollect; 10-13-2005, 03:28 PM. Reason: deleted

Comment

Last edited by MilitaryCollect; 10-13-2005, 03:27 PM. Reason: deleted

Comment

Last edited by MilitaryCollect; 10-13-2005, 03:26 PM. Reason: deleted

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Doody
                John and Christopher,

I believe this tally is Chinese or Taiwanese and not Japanese. However, since I am presently without my handy-dandy kanji dictionary I will have to confirm or disprove this later today/tonight.

Eric
                John and Christopher,

Well, I was wrong on both accounts as the tally is South Korean instead. Kanji reads Daikan Minkoku Kaigun or South Korean Navy from left to right.

Eric

Comment

Eric,
                  YOU WERE WRONG !!!!!!! Are you kidding, I didn't see any of the rest of us figuring out what it was. It's an interesting tally considering it looks very much like a Japanese tally.....I wonder what period it's from. Since the Japanese occupied Korea and Koreans fought for the Japanese....is it possible it's WWII vintage from occupied Korea?
                  It's a good call as far as I'm concerned, nice job Eric.
                  John

Comment

Last edited by MilitaryCollect; 10-13-2005, 03:26 PM. Reason: deleted

Comment

Last edited by MilitaryCollect; 10-13-2005, 03:25 PM. Reason: deleted

Comment

John,

My handy-dandy kanji dictionary listed the first four kanji from left to right as Korea-South which I interpreted as being South Korea. (My kanji dictionary also listed a Korea-North but the kanji is different.) Now is Korea-South and South Korea (and Korea-North and North Korea) the same thing(s)?)

You bring up and excellent point, but now I think I have more questions than answers.

Eric

Comment

Last edited by MilitaryCollect; 10-13-2005, 03:24 PM. Reason: deleted

Comment

Last edited by MilitaryCollect; 10-13-2005, 03:23 PM. Reason: deleted

Comment

Last edited by MilitaryCollect; 10-13-2005, 03:22 PM. Reason: deleted

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X