Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Document Translation Help

Hello,
    I bought a NCO grouping from a seller in Japan a few months ago. The group consisted of a leather mapcase, an Officers style canteen, and a signed Japanese National flag. While looking over the grouping, I discovered a piece of paper tucked way at the bottom of the mapcase. It appears to be very old, WW2 vintage or older? I would like to know if anyone can help translate this piece of paper for me. Curiosity is killing me! Here are two Pics of the front and back. I have had great help here before! Thanks everybody for your interest.
    Paul G.
    Attached Files

backside-
    sorry its on its side, it was the only way I could get the whole pic to fit. Thanks!!!
    Attached Files

Comment

document translation

Hi Paul F,
      As near as I can make it out this document is a brief report made on the volume of deliveries of unpolished rice rations to a rural village in 1947. The report is dated December, 1947 (Showa 22) and relates that: The Migimoto-village Ration Control Villagers Group limits unpolished rice deliveries at eight koku and four to in accordance with its decision of January 1947 resulting from deliberations.
      Koku and to are traditional Japanese measurements and eight koku and four to works out to roughly 350 US gallons of rice. The document is signed by what looks like the village head - a Mr. Seiyu Tanaka. Maybe I don't have quite the nuances down but that is essentially what's there. Don't know the time frame the delivery refers to......either all year or for a single month, but the latter seems more likely to me if this were a large village. Poorer people in rural Japan before, during, and just after the war frequently supplemented rice rations with barley to stretch food supplies.

Best,
      Gunnar

Comment

Hello Gunnar,
        You are the Best! Thank you again for your help. It was driving me mad wondering what I had found.
        Paul G.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X