David Hiorth

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Japanese Fire Department insignia design.....what is it supposed to be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Fire Department insignia design.....what is it supposed to be?

Does anyone know what the symbol in the center of the fire department insignia is supposed to represent? I've heard it's a stylized design of the end of some sort of tool but......
    Below is a picture (stolen off ebay....sorry) of what I'm talking about, the three "prong" device.

Thanks in advance!

Eric
    Attached Files

Eric,

I checked In the Name of a Living God by Paul L. Murphy & Steven L. Ackley and found the following on Page 98 for Figure 12.2..."The three-pointed star symbol was used by the Imperial Fire Brigade when they adopted their own symbol and stopped using the police symbol, from which they originated."

Hope this helps.

Eric

Comment

Thanks Eric. So the symbol more than likely is just a stylized star, along the lines of the police symbol?

eric

Comment

Hello,

The device shown is used currently by volunteer firemen. Regular career firemen use a 6 pointed star, and police a 5 pointed star. I have never heard that it represented anything other than a recognizable "symbol".

I would comment though that when compared to the police and regular fire department insignias it doesn't look much like a star. Hose nozzles have 3 locking studs, perhaps thats where it came from.

Here is a photo of 1946 era police insignia showing their true "star" shaped badge.

Regards,
        Bill Unland
        Last edited by W.Unland; 04-02-2008, 01:05 AM.

Comment

I always thought the symbol represented a top view of a fire break. It was a wooden device placed between buildings to draw away the fire.

Comment

Your guess is as good as mine. I asked a current volunteer fireman I know and he had no idea whatever! Whatever the true meaning it seems to have been lost with time.

Regards,
            Bill Unland

Comment

Thanks again guys! I think the item Jareth is talking about is what I had in my mind but I cannot remember where I'd heard that before. I did manage to contact a fireman's association in Japan and asked and like Bill's fireman, they had no idea either. Oh well, that's half the charm of collecting Japanese

Eric

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X