Japanese Swords

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Swords

I have just been offered these two japanese swords and as my track record on japanese stuff ain't that good at the moment I thought I would get some opinions..... first a officers parade sabre and second a standard nco sword....
    If they are correct what should I be paying?
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hello David,

They look OK from here but as you know without being able to handle it I can't be 100%. As for value the NCO sword is a late machine made sword so I would sell it for between 300-450 depending on a variety of factors. If it was absolutely stone mint I would ask 600. The Officers blade would sell for between 250 and 400 depending on variations.

Gary

Comment

Japanese Swords

I would agree with the price on the NCO sword even with the missing paint on the handle, etc. I would not pay any more than $250.00 max. for the parade sword (appears to have some rust, etc.) I have seen some crazy prices for this style sword on e-Bay, however. It wasn't too long ago that the ceiling on one of those was $150.00... Mike

Comment

Thanks for the help guys...

Comment

Originally posted by David H
                    Thanks for the help guys...
                    The NCO machine-made swords were not tempered. I had one in 1983 and gave it to my batto-do teacher, Obata Toshishiro, in Los Angeles. A big man, he struck a tree with it with all his might -- in his front yard -- just to see what would happen. His neighbors just think he's crazy.

Well, Obata sensei's blade angle-of-attack was spot on .... but the temper wasn't. The force of impact caused the blade bend forward, along the axis of the edge (not sideways, on the flat).

That was the funniest thing I ever saw.

They're nice for wall-hangers, but worthless for iaido [aka battodo]. The scabbard is heaver than the sword, as I recall).

Cheers,
                    Guy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X