Naval tunic help please

Last edited by MilitaryCollect; 10-13-2005, 03:04 PM. Reason: deleted

Last edited by MilitaryCollect; 10-13-2005, 03:03 PM. Reason: deleted

Comment

Last edited by MilitaryCollect; 10-13-2005, 03:02 PM. Reason: deleted

Comment

Naval Officers Tunic

DAK,
        The tunic is a Japanese naval officer's tunic. The quartermaster tag is unlike anything that I have seen before on an officers uniform and is a little less then typical. It appears that it was from Yokosuka Naval depot. There is a place for a date but I can't see the date. The two kanji on the right are the name which as best as I can tell the meaning of his name is "8 Trees" but because the name can be pronounced several ways I'm not sure how it would be pronounced. You can see the same kanji sewn on the name label with pointed ends... this is a typical officers name label. There are no collar tabs rank insignia and most interesting I can see any cuff striping which would indicate the rank of the wearer. Does it appear that cuff stripes have been removed from the lower sleeves ? It's possible (given the white quartermaster's label) and if I were quessing (which is what I always am doing)that this may be a late war tunic and that the wearer could have been a former enlistedman.....
        Regards,
        John

Comment

Last edited by MilitaryCollect; 10-13-2005, 03:01 PM. Reason: deleted

Comment

Last edited by MilitaryCollect; 10-13-2005, 03:01 PM. Reason: deleted

Comment

Last edited by MilitaryCollect; 10-13-2005, 03:00 PM. Reason: deleted

Comment

DAK,
                If the sleeve does not nor has it ever had any sleeve stripes than I would assume it was a tunic for a Warrant Officer (Former enlistedman). What goes on the both sleeve are three cherry blossoms (the same ones on the shoulder boards). Of the collor insignia that you have the bottom pair with the green stripes (aviation maintenance) could have been worn on this jacket. Finding the 6 blossoms are not that hard but you would need them to complete the jacket.
                The middle pair are for an Ensign (Line Officer) and the top pair are for a Lt/Commander (Line Officer)
                Hope this info helps.
                Regards,
                John

Comment

Naval tunic help please

Last edited by MilitaryCollect; 10-13-2005, 02:59 PM. Reason: deleted

Comment

DAK,
                    Sorry for the delay in responding (vacation) however the sleeve stripes corrosponded with the strips & numbers of cherry blossoms on the collar insignia. Every rank of officer which included Warrant Officers and Midshipman wore this jacket....rank insignia was the difference. This jacket also came in both a summer and winter weight....while it's a winter uniform it's also a war uniform that was worn in all seasons. The stripes on the sleeve started with certain ranks (not all ranks ) of Warrant Officers. I am sending a scan of Japanese naval sleeve stripes to Eric and hope he'll can post this for you. Be careful using Mr. Nakata's book as a reference. It's a good book but does have some problems.....look carefully at the many pictures of naval seaman.....you'll notice that the rank insignia is sewn on the wrong sleeve on Page 147. Page 88 (lower left) shows the sleeve stripes correctly. Again, barring any indication of stripes having been removed I would think it's a Warrant Officer's jacket. I hope this helps.
                    Regards,
                    John

Comment

Christopher,

Here is the information John mentioned...

Hope this helps.

Eric

P.S. John, thanks for your help.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Eric & Christopher,
                        Just a short note....there are always exception to the rules. The collar insignia for a passed Midshipman and Warrant Officer were the same. The shoulder boards were different however. But the difference on the blue service uniform was the sleeve insignia. I hope this really confuses everyone.
                        John

Originally posted by Eric Doody
                        Christopher,

Here is the information John mentioned...

Hope this helps.

Eric

P.S. John, thanks for your help.

Comment

Yagi

Originally posted by DAKcollector1
                          Name tag and depot tag.
                          His family name is Yagi.

--Guy

Comment

Naval tunic help please

Last edited by MilitaryCollect; 10-13-2005, 02:59 PM. Reason: deleted

Comment

Christopher,
                              This is a shoulderboard for a Warrant Officer (former enlistedman) aviation branch. This is different then the Passed Midshipman's board that would nearly look the same. The gold stripe is the difference. Now for the real question...what does the back look like ?
                              Regards,
                              John
                              P.S. It's hard to judge from the photo but it appears to be a smaller later war board as opposed to an early board which was larger.
                              Originally posted by DAKcollector1
                              Hi,

Most interesting. Eric, John and Guy thank you for all the insight.

I have period photos of groups of seamen with blue jumpers and with one or two Japanese sailors in the forground wearing button down fronts. There are also photos of naval officer's wearing the blue concealed front tunics with sleeve braidng in the same photo albums. My tunic never had any sleeve braiding and that's for sure.

Speaking of boards, can anyone tell me what rank this board is? The light steel blue piping is naval flight. Like the tally, it's another rare bird.

Christopher
                              Last edited by John Egger; 10-10-2005, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X