X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eric Doody
    Kenny,

I concur with Guy and Jareth.

Out of curiosity, didn't the Japanese professor mention anything to you about the poor quality of the kanji when he was consulted?

Eric
    Yeah! As it is now, it reads "Dai Nichi Moku" [Big Sunny Tree]. What a difference a stroke makes.

Cheers,
    Guy
    Last edited by Eric Doody; 10-08-2005, 08:42 AM. Reason: corrected my grammer in the quote

Comment

The professor was in a bit of a hurry. Or at least he seemed to be. I got the impression that he didn't like looking at the helmet. Maybe it was embarassing to him.

Sort of like showing an SS helmet to an older German man. Not the done thing.

So he just told me briefly what he thought it said and that was that. No chit-chat. No small talk. And certainly no criticism of the poor handwriting!

Alright -- last question. Do you think the liner and straps are original? I have my doubts, but it's just a gut feel. I've never seen ink-stamps like the one on the liner, and so as I said above, I suspect it is a reproduction liner that was used by a reenactor or movie extra.

What are your thoughts?

-- Kenny

Comment

Kenny, are there the typical showa/date stamp on the reverse of any of the other pads? Can you provide close up photo of chinstrap? The weave/pattern looks off.

Comment

Kenny,

Since the "26 reproduction" stamping is on the underside of the front liner pad where the liner manufacturer's stamping and Showa date would typically be, and since the chin straps do not appear to be of the typical 16-ribbed woven cotton type, it is my opinion that the liner and chin straps are reproductions.

Eric

Comment

I think we've beat this dead horse enough, but before we finish, let me just post a photo of the chinstrap weave.

For us newbies, would you kindly explain what the "16 ribbed" chinstrap is?

Thanks,

-- Kenny
            Attached Files

Comment

Sorry about the dark lighting on the previous photo -- it was the best way to highlight the weave.

Here's another in normal light.

-- Kenny
              Attached Files

Comment

Kenny,

Nice job on the photos.

Here are two photos of the front and backside of three (3) standard Army-style 16-ribbed woven chin straps.

Eric
                Attached Files

Comment

Here is photo 2 of 2...
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the photos, Eric. It's easy to see the difference between the reproduction on my helmet and the originals you have.

Let's close this thread down. I think all the evidence has added up to one conclusion -- my helmet is a restored shell with a reproduction liner and chinstraps.

Thanks to all for contributing.

-- Kenny

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X