X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NCO swords, real or fake?

Aloha,
    Just want some opinions on 3 Japanese NCO swords on eBay. They are listed:
    1) Japanese WWII NCO Sword, (start of bid: Sept. 22)
    2) WWII Japanese NCO Shin Gunto Samurai Vet Sword WW2 (start of bid: Sept. 25)
    3) WWII Japanese Officer Sword with Seal Number 17336 (start of bid: Sept. 28)
    Each one has no paint on what looks like aluminum handles and are missing the sarute. Two of them seems to have the same markings on the fuchi and the other one I’ve never seen before. Why are these three nco’s have no paint on their handles? Are these fakes from China (or elsewhere) or just another variation of the nco swords?
    Mahalo,
    Rodney

NCO Swords

Hello Rodney,
    The swords in question are total fakes from China . They are based on a real WW2 NCO sword. The original NCO sword had a aluminum handle which was painted brown, to simulate a silk wrapping. These fake swords were copied (molded) from a worn original example. Originals that are very well worn, have most of the paint worn off the handle, however there still should be traces of paint in the recess areas.These repos have no paint on the handles at all. These repos from China are getting better and better . That means that us buyers need to be more educated. If you compare these swords to original examples, the differences are obvious. Look for the fine details, they are not there. The details are not crisp. Look at the end cap of the handle, the recessed area should have a simulated ray skin (little bumps), missing on the repos. Also any auction that is a private auction is an immediate red flag. Be careful though, because as people get ripped off ,they will in turn re-sell back on e-bay. So, the fakes can be coming from anywhere! The sword marked 17336, also says its marked with the Kansai factory logo, never heard of that factory! Look at auction # 6565047926, that is a real NCO sword. Compare the differences. Crisp detail, painted handle, Sarute, Simulated ray skin. That is an example of a near mint NCO. Now look at auction # 6565804910, that is a used example of a real NCO. Same crisp details, although missing most, not all handle paint. Study! Study! Study! And be very careful, if not buying from a reputable dealer. There are deals to be had on real WW2 swords, if you are careful. But, be prepared to pay what a genuine sword is worth, or you will end up with a stick made out of recycled beer cans.
    Good luck,
    Paul

Comment

Wow,those are getting scary! They might fool someone who has never held the real thing and examined it closely. The serial numbers on the blade really jump out at me as not being correct-I suppose they will fix that on the next run, after they read our comments here.

When I started collecting Japanese swords, nobody especially wanted NCOs. 200-250$ was the going price. Now look-they are going for much more than I used to pay for an Officer's sword.

Comment

Originally posted by boyt44
        Wow,those are getting scary! They might fool someone who has never held the real thing and examined it closely. The serial numbers on the blade really jump out at me as not being correct-I suppose they will fix that on the next run, after they read our comments here.

When I started collecting Japanese swords, nobody especially wanted NCOs. 200-250$ was the going price. Now look-they are going for much more than I used to pay for an Officer's sword.
        I remember them going for $95 and no one wanted them.

Comment

I remember when they were ten bucks and no one wanted them.

Bob

Comment

My uncle remembers when NCOs were free-all you had to do was kill the original owner.

/Okinawa,1945

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X