Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Medal

Gentlemen,
    Is this a Japanese medal? I've attempted to research it online with no success.Also is there a book on Japanese medals that can help us newbies out?

Reverse

Comment

ribbon
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Dean Brock
        ribbon
        Dean,
        The MEDAL is Japanese, I don't ever recall having seen a ribbon of this type used with Japanese medals so I'll confine my remarks to the medal. I'm assuming the medal is about the size of a US quarter or slightly bigger as many are. There are many of these types of medals and all are different in design. They were used as "fobs" to hang off watch chains and or just as a commenrative of military service. The kanji is stylized and for someone of my limited Japanese very hard to read or translate. But the kanji appears to read right to left which means it was probably written earlier than the 1940's (after which the writing was left to right.) On the front I can make out the characters for "Showa" followed by the character for "10" and the character for "badge". This may indicate the medal is for something around the 10th year or about 1935 or 36. The bottom line has the word "kai" or "sea" and the word "gun" or military twice. Since the helmet appears to be a model 90 type then this would indicate the design came after 1930 when the helmet was introduced.
        The back has what appears to be a Chinese "junk". Over all I would say that this is a fob or commenrative medal for military service in China. There is a book currently on the market "In the Name of the Living God" that has a small section showing similar medals and fobs. Mind you there is alot of guessing going on here Dean....but you did buy a Japanese medal. The ribbon ????????
        John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X