Japanese Canteen - Need Help/Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Canteen - Need Help/Opinions

I don't collect Japanese militaria, so bear with me. I pulled this out of box to potentially sell to help pay for my trip to this year's MAX. I am going list on the estand, but I don't know much about the types of Japanese canteens and what is a fair estand price.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Colorado; 04-08-2006, 03:47 PM.
    Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Comment

aluminum marking.

Comment

Originally posted by Colorado
        I don't collect Japanese militaria, so bear with me. I pulled this out of box to potentially sell to help pay for my trip to this year's MAX. I am going list on the estand, but I don't know much about the types of Japanese canteens and what is a fair estand price.

Any help would be appreciated.
        Good Morning Jeff,
        The canteen is a Japanese army enlistedmens type and is one of a number of variations. This one has a leather strap thru the top so it's probably just a little earlier. Picture 1 has what appears two kanji on the bottle that looks like a name.....I can only really see the kanji for "O" Perhaps Eric can do better.....he' s better at translations then I. Picture 2 has a name tag sewn on the strap which is different then the kanji in Picture 1......I think (?) this is a name also and maybe "Kaushi". Again I defer to Eric....but it's a name. Not surprising that there are different names as equipment got changed around....it happens. Picture 3 is the bottle makers logo.
        You may want to check the strap on the inside part just above where the shoulder strap meets the straps that hold the bottle. There usually s a date stamp there but this disappears with wear. The bottle looks like it has been heated on a fire (again not unusual) but there is also a stamp/date in paint on the bottom of the bottle.
        It's very used but ok, because of the leather strap and the markings I have no idea what it would be priced on the estand list but I would say about $85.00 + gun show. It's just my opinion but check with some of the other guys prices vary with location around the country.
        Hope this helps,
        Regards,
        John

Comment

I did not want to risk messing with the leather as it has not been touched since the Vet got it. Here is the stamp on the bottom as best I can photo without taking off the strap. The shoulder strap appears to have the remnants of a silk label and a tiny bit of writing is still visible. Thanks for the education.

Comment

Originally posted by Colorado
            I did not want to risk messing with the leather as it has not been touched since the Vet got it. Here is the stamp on the bottom as best I can photo without taking off the strap. The shoulder strap appears to have the remnants of a silk label and a tiny bit of writing is still visible. Thanks for the education.
            Jeff,
            The leather straps on the stoppers do not hold up well and they do break. Your correct and its better to leave it. Looks like the number "18" on the bottom which would be 18th year of the Showa or 1943.
            John

Comment

Thanks John. I looked at the canteen and it was not used over a fire. The bottom is in great shape, that is a shadow from the photo.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X