Picked up this IJN hat with summer cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picked up this IJN hat with summer cover

Might of been a wee bit high, but, as some of you might know, I love the salty items. I also wanted to have a 2nd visor with the summer cover to display. I think it was a fair price. I also have a strong feeling in the next 5 years or so, IJN head gear, along with IJA head gear will rise in value, although helmets have already been soaring in price. Opinions appreciated, and translation of the kanji would be greatly appreciated.

IJN visor

Originally posted by J.Warren
    Might of been a wee bit high, but, as some of you might know, I love the salty items. I also wanted to have a 2nd visor with the summer cover to display. I think it was a fair price. I also have a strong feeling in the next 5 years or so, IJN head gear, along with IJA head gear will rise in value, although helmets have already been soaring in price. Opinions appreciated, and translation of the kanji would be greatly appreciated.

IJN visor
    My posts and asking of opinions haven't been drawing much attention at all recently. Any reason guys?

Comment

Your link to photos doesn't work for me. Maybe the same for other board members.

Comment

Originally posted by Jareth
        Your link to photos doesn't work for me. Maybe the same for other board members.
        Its a link to the auction. Still seems to work for me. Lets try this...

Comment

Comment

IJN Officer's Visor Hat

The pictures came through for me this time. The lining is right and it has a nice typical officers name tag sewn in. The insignia looks good and is sewn in the right place the right way. The white cover appears to be in a little better condition than the hat (does the white cover have a string tie or a metal clip in the back and are there any markings on the white cover ?) The "checked pattern" raiser around the outside is for a naval officer (sometimes this has a color trim band). The side buttons are right and match the insignia. The kanji on the inside comes out to "Genko or Kogen"....but there are several different ways to pronounce these characters and I'm not sure if they read right to left or the other way. The hat looks ok to me and all in all is a "good" (referring to original vs repro) naval officer's visor hat....and I think "salty" describes it best. Pricing is subjective.....if its just what you wanted....then the price shouldn't matter and who cares what the rest of the world thinks. After all, I'm guilty to over paying for something I want and I always find my own justification for doing so.
            Regards,
            John
            Last edited by John Egger; 09-25-2005, 04:36 AM.

Comment

I got the cap in today. It has a metal clip on the summer cover. No markings. I'm quite sure the cover is original to the cap. The summer cover shows yellowing and a bit of staining, and the top of the cap it covers is what you would called minty, so its been in place for quite awhile protecting the cap.

Comment

Very nice, issued worn cap! I like to have two examples of each type of headgear, worn/issued & mint! Thanks for posting!

Comment

I got the cap in today. It has a metal clip on the summer cover. No markings. I'm quite sure the cover is original to the cap. The summer cover shows yellowing and a bit of staining, and the top of the cap it covers is what you would called minty, so its been in place for quite awhile protecting the cap.
                  I was just curious about the cover and it seems to fit the hat very well. Sometimes the owner applied their name (in ink) on the cover. There are 3 different closures that I have seen ( a string tie, a snap, and a clip) and the covers can very from very light material to somewhat heavy with a "ribbed ' pattern. But everything looks ok to me. Nice !
                  John

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I didn't even realize a clip was there till you told me to check! Looks like a tiny brass clip that hooks onto a single sewn thread. Must be a tough string of thread to of stayed in place this amount of time.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X