demjanskbattlefield

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help on manufacture date of early 2nd Arsenal T-14 Ammo box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help on manufacture date of early 2nd Arsenal T-14 Ammo box?

Help! - I am trying to determine the date of manufacture on this box of T-14 8 x 22 Nambu ammo. I have shown it with two other boxes that are easy to date; just add the year 1925 to the Showa year and then the month follows the period. I have noticed on the two known dated boxes that the year number is also repeated up on the fifth line of text down from the top (first line). These numbers are followed by the same Kanji symbol. On the unknown dated box there is a “8” on the first line followed by the same Kanji figure as appears on the two dated boxes on the fifth line. Would it be safe to assume that this box would then have a manufacture date of 1925 + 8 = 1933? This “8” dated box came with the 1937 dated box in a complete T-14 rig I bought many years ago from the vet that liberated it. I have looked on many sites but there is limited information on early Japanese T-14 ammo boxes. I know that the early boxes have less Kanji then the later ones – that may explain why this “1933” dated box has only the year ink stamped only once and no month beside it? Note; the boxes are from the following arsenals; 12.12 and the 15.12 dated boxes are 1st arsenal and the unknown “1933”? box is from the 2nd arsenal. Any thoughts would be appreciated on this. BTW, I don’t read Kanji and the more I looked on line the more confusing it got! Thanks up front for your help! Jim GO ARMY – BEAT NAVY!

Jim,

That is a zodiac-year kanji.
    戊・8

寅年
    Tsuchinoe-Tora Year [1938]; August
    Fire Tiger (15th year of the sexagenary cycle, e.g. 1938, 1998, 2058)

-- Guy

Comment

Strangest IJA pistol ammo marking I've scene! Would you mind posting a photo on the top side on just that box?

Comment

Hi Guy - hey thanks for the information and clarification on the date. I am still a bit confused though, can you tell me what denotes the "15th" cycle of the 60 year span - is it the Kanji next to the "8" or the three characters on the line below it, and I am assuming if the zodiac year kanji is used then the "8" means August. Can you elaborate on the "Fire Tiger" to explain what that means / is? Sorry for all the questions, I am just interested in learning everything I can about this box of ammo as its way outside my area of collecting and I like to learn as much as I can - it makes collecting all the more fun! - thanks! Jim

Hi beretta1934 - as you requested, here is the information on the top of the box - yes I agree its an unusual stamping. Let me know what you know and if this top info helps - thanks! Jim GO ARMY - BEAT NAVY!

Comment

Hi Jim,

It's complicated!! The sexagenary calendar comprises two kanji: first is one of the 5 elements (wood, fire, earth, metal, water); the second kanji is one of the 12 zoological animals (rat, ox, tiger, rabbit, dragon, snake, horse, goat, monkey, rooster, dog, boar). You can get 60 years in these combinations!

Showa chart below from Japanese Sword Index
          Japanese chart here

-- Guy
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Guy - Yes you're right - it does seem very complicated and thanks so much for your explanation and charts for me to look at - I kinda understand it a bit more and that is probably good for me. I see the two Kanji symbols that designate the Tsuchinoe-Tora as 1938 on the chart and so what does the third Kanji symbol mean? Also a dumb question but I have to ask it - how do you type the Kanji symbols - have you downloaded a special app or something? Jim

Hi Beretta 1934 - I was wondering about your thoughts and comments on the top of the box image that you requested and I sent? Fire back, I would be interested in knowing what you thought! Thanks! Jim GO ARMY - BEAT NAVY!

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Allen View Post
              ... I see the two Kanji symbols that designate the Tsuchinoe-Tora as 1938 on the chart and so what does the third Kanji symbol mean? Also a dumb question but I have to ask it - how do you type the Kanji symbols - have you downloaded a special app or something? Jim
              Hi Jim,

That third kanji is (nen / toshi) and means YEAR.

I use the Google Japanese translation tool; I type words in romaji that are then converted into kanji, from which I can select the correct kanji.

If I don't know any of the various readings of a target kanji, I build the kanji by "radical." see here. You need to understand how to count strokes, then find the proper radical; after that (if you know how to count all the strokes in a particular kanji), you find as many secondary "radicals" as you can, then peruse the results below the window.

Example
              1. I can guess that one stroke is a horizontal:
              2. I can guess that the other stroke is a curved diagonal: 丿
              3. I can assume this kanji has 6 strokes (I know it does). But sometimes I get the count wrong, then go up one stroke, or down one stroke. Usually I can find it .... unless it's a discontinued / pre-ww2 kanji .... then sometimes I have to use a CHINESE language ideogram builder.

The more "radicals" per kanji you can select, the more precise (and FEWER) the results.

Hope the attachments help.
              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X