Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Japanese helmet stamp

Hi all

Can anyone tell me what the symbol is above the star. Has anyone seen this before ?

a rarity ?

TIA
    Attached Files

Really interested to see what the stamp is I have never seen it before

Graeme

Comment

That Kanji means special

Comment

Originally posted by chen View Post
        That Kanji means special
        Yup!

toku
        Special

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post

Yup!

toku
          Special

would that be a surname, also what’s the relevance of it being painted on the front.

have you seen this before

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by chen View Post
            That Kanji means special
            Thankyou
            what would be the reason to put special on the helmet

Comment

Originally posted by Leo2018 View Post

Thankyou
              what would be the reason to put special on the helmet
              I have no idea, and I've never seen it painted on the front of a helmet before! But I'm fairly certain it has nothing to do with the "Toko-tai" [特別攻擊隊 Tokubetsu Kōgekitai] aka: Kamikaze.

The only exterior kanji I've seen on helmets have been those used by air raid wardens, security guards, fire guards, etc.

[N.B., I am not a collector or expert and have limited experience; maybe others have noticed this sort of marking.]

-- Guy

Comment

There are a group of army type 90 helmets reported by collectors that were issued without star insignias. They had a plain liner rivet in place of star & above was stencil for “special” above it. I had one in my collection. No one ever found out the meaning. This is first helmet I’ve seen that had a star & stencil. Perhaps star was collector added post war? Star is placed upside down which might be a clue & is on top of stencil
                Last edited by Jareth; 08-21-2020, 07:55 PM.

Comment

What does the liner look like?

Comment

Originally posted by Jareth View Post
                    There are a group of army type 90 helmets reported by collectors that were issued without star insignia. They had a plain liner rivet in place of star & above was stencil for “special” above it. I had one in my collection. No one ever found out the meaning. This is first helmet I’ve seen that had a star & stencil. Perhaps star was collector added post war? Star is placed upside down which might be a clue & is on top of stencil
                    Totally agree - Star was added (even upside down) postwar to increase value and make it more "$pecial"...
                    An IJA Soldier would never, ever, ever make that stupid mistake
                    Last edited by beretta1934; 08-23-2020, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Can you show the liner and any other markings on the rim?

Regards

Russ

Comment

Hi Gents
                        thanks for all your help - I passed as the helmet has had an added star and not all original

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X