help with battle damaged ww2 officers sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help with battle damaged ww2 officers sword

hi all hope all is well -- been looking at maybe buying this sword just wanted to see if its kosher before laying down money for it and wondering what value you guys would put on it with its condition
    thanks craig
    Attached Files

It's a legit WWII Japanese officer gunto, Type 98. I don't follow battle-damaged gunto, so I can't say what this is worth. A standard Type 98 is selling from $900-1,200 USD. I'd get the seller to remove the handle and send pics of both sides of the nakago (tang). The smith name can affect the price, if it's a famous one.

Comment

What does the entry wound look like?
      It is pretty cool though, but i wouldn't pay too much for it personally.

Comment

Agreed a great battle field pick up

Comment

hi guys thank you for your replies its up at a local auction to me so these photos are the only ones they have put up, the peice just really speaks to me as in england you dont see that many battle damaged swords come up mostly the swords that turn up here are surrendered swords so it sticks out to me in that aspect
          thanks again guys and stay safe out there

Comment

Nice sword. Interesting the japaneee officer was not waving it around shouting banzai when he was shot! Definitely worth a $500 $700 punt . Rob
            God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

In My opinion, the maker of the sword would add nothing to the value, as the sword, for serious sword collectors, is destroyed. The value is in the History, and that's a cool piece! Almost never see these for sale, and usually not in that dramatic of condition. It certainly looks correct to me, as far as the age of the damage. Its a miracle that the sword did not shatter in half! Value is truly hard to say. Like a lot of things, its worth whatever someone is willing to pay. I will say, for what it is, its rare and unique, I dig it !

PG-

Comment

Love it!

Comment

Just my 2 cents worth.

I've owned three battle damaged swords like this. Two with through & through holes, which were caused by .30 caliber bullets, and one with schrapnel damage.

I believe the hole in this one is too large a calibre for 30-'06 or British .303. Given the diameter of the hole, as well as the nick to the scabbard just below the through & through hole, I think the damage was caused by raking fire in .45 caliber, possibly from a Thompson SMG or quick succesive fire from a 1911 or similar pistol.

If anyone here winds up with this sword a quick measurement of the hole would be interesting.

Quick edit: I just had a friend text me (we're both following this thread) and ask if I thought .45 would/could penetrate like this given the slowness of the round and I responded yes, at closer ranges most certainly.

Comment

thanks guys for the replies if I win it ill do the measurements for you stubben the thompson theory fits with it being in england as the British troops used the tommy gun quite regularly in the Burma campaign.
                    craig

Comment

Yes they did.

Also, if if one was inclined to do so, and it was found to be an "important" sword, it could be cut down and turned into a wakizashi and the signature inlaid into the new tang which is known as "gakumei".

I hope you win it.

Comment

Very cool indeed.....mike

Comment

Originally posted by vonStubben View Post
                          Quick edit: I just had a friend text me (we're both following this thread) and ask if I thought .45 would/could penetrate like this given the slowness of the round and I responded yes, at closer ranges most certainly.
                          I dunno about a .45 ACP. When I was in the army I took my steel pot and fired a 9mm into it from about 15 yards -- it left about a 3 inch diameter divot about 1/4" deep; no penetration. Then I took my M1911A1 and shot it inside the divot .. and only managed to crack the steel. No penetration.

Then I took a 12 gauge deer slug and it pierced through both sides of the pot like a hot knife through butter. So I doubt a .45 ACP could have done this damage.

-- Guy

Comment

Interesting sword hope you win it for a good price.

Comment

A .45 would not have done anything like this-at any range.
                              Here is a local vet with his sword. He was quite a character and well respected in the academic and sports community. A Marine who took part in several major events.
                              Greatly missed.
                              He said he manned a MG during a night attack and when the Sun came up, the closest body was wearing the sword. There was a pistol in his hand.
                              Attached Files
                              MLP

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X